Powerflex 700 Input Phase loss bit

reider

I need to know where to turn on the Input Phase loss on my powerflex 700 drive. I recently had a 40HP drive blow up because the drive had one Phase not coming in because a fuse had blown and it did not shutdown on alarm or error. Is there a couple spots to do this?

Cheers

That is so unusual with powerflex, usually it will cut off instantly when it detect a phase loss, it will give you either motor overload fault or drive overload. Check and correct the problem first the reset the drive. Either stop the unit then cycle the power or go to clear fault parameter.

I have been looking at parameter 238. There is a bit there call input phase loss and it is set to 0. I guessing it should be set to 1?

The PF700 does not directly detect, or care, about an input phase loss. Like all drives, it rectifies the incoming AC to DC anyway, and in the case of this drive, the control power to operate the drive is taken from the DC bus, so it CAN and does operate with a single phase input. People use them for this purpose all the time; run a 3 phase motor from a single phase source.

What the PF700 DOES care about is DC bus ripple. When you are only using 4 or the 6 input diodes on the rectifier bridge, there is a lot more DC bus ripple, and the capacitors in the drive cannot handle it all. But this it completely load dependent, in that the amount of ripple mitigation by the capacitors is directly proportional to the amount of current they are expected to deliver. So if the load is only 50% of the RATED capacity of the drive, you may never know that you lost an input phase.

If, however, the load INCREASES beyond the ability for the DC bus caps to keep it smooth, then the drive will trip. The TRIP DISPLAY will state "Input Phase Loss", because that is the most likely cause of excess DC bus ripple. A failing capacitor will do it too, but that's much much less likely and they tend to have other issues going along with that which make it obvious.

If your drive "blew up", I suspect that it was NOT the RESULT of the input phase loss, because the drive should have tripped BEFORE any damage was done. It's more likely that whatever CAUSED the input line fuse to clear, ALSO was related to (or caused) the drive to "blow up".

You cannot disable the DC bus ripple trip function, it is there to prevent drive failures. What you can do is to ignore the warnings about it by turning off the alarm function (which preceded the trip). I highly recommend AGAINST doing that.

I work at a sawmill. We did have a power outage a couple weeks back. Or the drive was ready to fail anyways. The drive was only 3 years old. So, I should not do anything with parameter 238 with the input phase fault bit? It is set to 0 which is factory default

jraef said:
...What the PF700 DOES care about is DC bus ripple...

Here comes the science part...

578273 - PowerFlex 70/700 and PowerFlex 750 Input Phase Loss Differences
Access Level: Everyone

...yeah, but what about the math?...

505273 - PowerFlex 700 Input Phase Loss Detection

...cool, but how do I troubleshoot it?...

117304 - PowerFlex 70/700/753/755: Fault F17 [Input phase loss]

reider said:
...I recently had a 40HP drive blow up because the drive had one Phase not coming in because a fuse had blown and it did not shutdown on alarm or error...

The phase loss relays are good advice, and would detect the above if indeed a fuse popped, whether the fault of the drive, or not. If the drive has gone south, it's gone south. But if a fuse just blows, and the drive 2 phases, well this would not be healthy if left unchecked as it is much harder on the drive.

Regards,
George

I work at a sawmill. We did have a power outage a couple weeks back. Or the drive was ready to fail anyways. The drive was only 3 years old. So, I should not do anything with parameter 238 with the input phase fault bit? It is set to 0 which is factory default
That just enables or disables the annunciation of the fault, not whether or not it takes place. Personally, I would want to see that so that I know why a drive tripped.

Hey peeps, What i'm gonna do is turn on that bit I was talking about so I can "see" that I have lost a phase. Also thinking about putting in Phase relays aswell. (great idea). The drive was probably single phasing for awhile and finally had enough. It says on Frame 1-3 drives that the bit on not turned on by factory default, but frames 4+ they are.