Problem with PowerFlex 700

tjntjntjn

Hi Everyone,

I had to replace PowerFlex 700 20BC085A0ANNANA0 with this one 20BC085A0ANNANC0. I set all (I think all) parameters the way they should be but the drive won't start the motor. It commucicates with the SLC 5/03 CPU using DPI Port 2 and that's what parameter 90 is set to. When I set this parameter to DPI port 1 and try to start the motor using HMI on the drive it works ok.
What am I missing. Are there any other parameters that have to be change?

Thank you

Hi Everyone,

I had to replace PowerFlex 700 20BC085A0ANNANA0 with this one 20BC085A0ANNANC0. I set all (I think all) parameters the way they should be but the drive won't start the motor. It commucicates with the SLC 5/03 CPU using DPI Port 2 and that's what parameter 90 is set to. When I set this parameter to DPI port 1 and try to start the motor using HMI on the drive it works ok.
What am I missing. Are there any other parameters that have to be change?

Thank you
So the replacement drive is not the same, you know that, right? Was that intentional? Because the replacement is a Vector version, the original one was not. With a Vector Drive you must set up the motor model, either my entering data in manually or doing an Auto-tune procedure.

But more importantly, this drive has a DIFFERENT set of parameters, and mapping of same, with regard to the communications. You cannot just plug and play with a different product. You may need to re-map your new drive into your program, or get the correct drive.

Last edited:
So the replacement drive is not the same, you know that, right? Was that intentional? Because the replacement is a Vector version, the original one was not. With a Vector Drive you must set up the motor model, either my entering data in manually or doing an Auto-tune procedure.

But more importantly, this drive has a DIFFERENT set of parameters, and mapping of same, with regard to the communications. You cannot just plug and play with a different product. You may need to re-map your new drive into your program, or get the correct drive.

Yes, I do know that. I did not know (until I called tech support) that the Vector drive does not support ScanPort which is used on the PLC to communicate with the drive. The Rockwell tech support said that replacing communication card in the drive with the standard one should help, so that's what I'm going to try now.

RA Knowledgebase document ID 19473 (Access Level: Everyone) has a concise list of the ScanPort modules that will work with various PowerFlex drives.

What SCANPort device are you using ? You described connecting it to an SLC-5/03, so I'm dreading that you actually have a 1203-GK2. It would be a lot better if you actually have DeviceNet and a 1203-GK5/GM5, or a RIO scanner with a 1203-GK1/GM1.

When you say "replace the communication card", exactly what do you mean ?

The model of the ScanPort module is 1203-SM1.
The "card" I'm talking about is the control cassette inside the drive. Rockwell technician advised to replace the vector control cassette with the standard one (20B-STD-A0).
What do you think? Is it going to work?

Thanks

jraef will be able to give you a usable opinion on whether a Standard control cassette can be substituted on a Vector power structure.

The 1203-SM1 isn't what I expected !

For those of you watching at home, that's an SLC-500 slot-mounted 3-port SCANPort module. There's no network or anything, just SCANPort direct to the drives. It was the fastest and simplest way to connect an SLC to a small number of nearby SCANPort drives, and I most frequently saw it with 1394 servos.

There's no easy workaround with the same performance. A 1747-SDN with a 20-COMM-D would be my preferred solution to get an SLC-5/03 to DPI connection but that's me.

Replacing the cassette will work. This makes the drive standard instead of vector control. I have a customer that uses devicenet networks that utilize all datalinks to a PLC5. Since a vector drive uses 32-bit words for the datalinks versus 16-bit for the standard, it would require remapping and some DINT to INT conversion in the PLC5. On some networks the mapping is so full that a remap is not possible.

Replacing the cassette will work. This makes the drive standard instead of vector control. I have a customer that uses devicenet networks that utilize all datalinks to a PLC5. Since a vector drive uses 32-bit words for the datalinks versus 16-bit for the standard, it would require remapping and some DINT to INT conversion in the PLC5. On some networks the mapping is so full that a remap is not possible.

I concur. Previous employer had to buy a shedload of standard control cassettes to avoid rewriting a bunch of logic (actually would have required much more than that) for about 50 drives on devicenet. So we ended up with a stack of vector control cards that we could not use for that project since the new drives came with vector cards.

I got the Standard Cassette this morning. Installed it in the drive, set the parameters and it worked.

Thank you everyone for all your help.