Profibus Network

almost a mirror image of what we're having! ours is plc-5, sst card, sew vfd, and siemens powerhouse. different causes each time. check that both ends of the loop have terminating resistors "on" and cables on A1 and B1, both ends. gsd or gst files are loaded for each component, strip the pfb cable 1/4 inch longer...if you use the cable stripper as "gauge". this sounds silly but it worked for me...power down and power up! good luck...

All working

I have been on site all week, worked on the problem late into Monday night with another engineer.

Started at the beginning and disconnected every device then started to connect one by one.

Things started to work until one of the screens was connected onto the network. When it was connected the whole network stopped. Disconnected this screen and carried on connecting everthing else.

All nodes worked including 3 TP screens. :D

Connected the suspect screen bawling the network stopped. Checked the cables all looked OK.

Changed the screen for another screen on the network, still OK, downloaded the screen program, still OK

Fitted the suspect screen in a different position on the network, the network died.

The screen has now gone back to Siemens with a request for a report back on the fault.

It was a good way to learn more about Profibus networks, you always seem to learn more when things don't work than when they do.

Thanks for all the replys. beerchug

Re: All working

NickMiller said:

The screen has now gone back to Siemens with a request for a report back on the fault.

Nick

When, or if, you receive the report back from Siemens could you post the information here, it might be of some help to someone who has a similar problem to yours in the future.

I would also be interested to hear what Siemens have to say.

Thanks

Paul