Profinet = Industrial Ethernet ?

Proprietary is what Ethernet/IP was before giving it over to ODVA.
Equipment does NOT need to be RA

This RA site http://ab.rockwellautomation.com/networks-and-communications/ethernet-ip-network
says :
Integration with the Enterprise

• Easily integrates into existing Ethernet and TCP/IP installations, with no special requirements, products, or conditions to meet
  • Uses commercial products such as Ethernet switches/routers/firewalls, IP cameras and IP telephony, as well as technologies like wireless and power line carrier
  • Common tools for both industrial and enterprise networks require no special training, tools, or knowledge to leverage the IT workforce
  • Future-proofs your application and networks by leveraging the ongoing advancements of standard Ethernet and TCP/IP
  • Tested and validated designs provide implementation guidance as well as best practices for a converged Industrial/IT network architecture

Ethernet/IP does not require special hardware.
The Ethernet/IP protocol specifications have always been available but at certain time the documents costs money.

Delta Computer Systems was the second company to implement Ethernet/IP. We paid $500 at that time to get a pre-release spec.

The confusion is how the term Industrial Ethernet is used. Siemens used it to describe their early Ethernet protocol before ProfiNet. There are a lot of protocols that would qualify as being used in Industrial Ethernet applications.