Programming

2john55

Hi everybody,
I am new to PLC's and would like to know the difference among programming a PLC with a programmer terminal(does it needs external software?), hand held programmer, or software program.
Is the software programming more advantageous of the three?

Thank you before hand to anybody who takes the time to answer this question.

Handheld- most tiring but cheapest way. Limited view of overall program.
Terminal- won't see one of these very often. Dedicated specifically for programming.
Software- that's the money ticket. Varies from extremely complex and powerful, to simple on/off for smaller applications. If you're going to do any programming seriously, get the software.

In the early days (late 80's), you had to buy a $4000.00 to $10,000 terminal from the vendor to program their PLC'S, or rent it. Later came software so you could turn an IBM PC or compatable into a dedicated terminal.
The handheld was only for simple edits.

Today, we have laptops and software. Terminals and handhelds are obsolete. You must have a laptop or desktop to save and print the program.

Sometimes a handheld is nice for copying a program from one PLC to another, but the laptop will do that too.

I'm sure there are exceptions, but I use a laptop and software for at least 4 different brands exclusively. I haven't used a handheld in years except once to copy a program from an Idec Micro 1 into another one. In that case, the handheld was quicker than using the laptop.

Like CroCop said above, buy the software.

Keith

Last edited:
The handheld was only for simple edits.
I will politely disagree with this statement, there was a time when the only way to program some plcs was using a hand-held and the program was saved to cassette. If you truly want to "learn" ladder logic then use a hand held and program a plc.

All that is obsolete now and software is used. Who wants to program a 1000, or more, I/O plc with a handheld? Techncially the only reason to use a handheld is for a very old plc.

The handhelds were really all we had back then. I wrote hundreds of programs on them. The AB HHT was the nicest since it had a graphic screen, plus the ability to write programs 'offline' using the AC adapter... :cool:

The Omron ones were the most intuitive to use though. I had the extension cable for the PRO-15, so you could hold it like a PS2 controller. I wrote a lotta code with my thumbs!...
thumbs.gif

I don't miss it one bit though... ;)

🍻

-Eric

Eric Nelson said:
The Omron ones were the most intuitive to use though. I had the extension cable for the PRO-15, so you could hold it like a PS2 controller. I wrote a lotta code with my thumbs!...
thumbs.gif

🍻

-Eric

Hey, and they were truly plug and play, no messing around with comms settings, cable types, firewalls etc... :D

Eric Nelson said:

-Eric

Oh how true Eric (y)

Thanks

Hi,
Thank you everyone for sharing your knowledge and experience. Now I have a beeter understanding of what I need to buy.

2john55;

Before you go and buy some software you might look into a course at your local community college. this would let you find out more and ask others about what PLC's are most prevalant in your area. Or use the online tutorials on this web site. If you have never done PLC programming before this is a less expensive way of learning than buying some software that you may never need. You may also have to buy hardware, because not all of the PLC programming software comes with a simulator.

Larry

Last edited:
look (or ask) before you leap ...

Greetings 2john55,

just a suggestion ... make a post and tell us what you're planning to buy BEFORE you buy it ... we might be able to save you some serious money by identifying things that will - or will not - make sense as a training investment ... a lot of beginners get stuck with various pieces and parts of systems that won't "fit together" ...

good luck ...

How far back do you guys go, when saying a handheld was all there was.

Reason I ask, is our Dos software came out in 1984. Prior to that we had a Commodore 64 used for programming (I think 1980 or 1981). Prior to that we manufactured a hex based program burner / program loader for the EPROM...that started way back in 1978.

We at one time had a hand held programming device for a controller that took us out of our element and subsequently was taken over by a former Entertron employee.

So, for us, we have had software for over 20 years.

Just curious.

God Bless,

Back in the late '70s and early '80s you had two choices - a hand held programmer or a terminal with a cassete and a itty bitty screen.

My first automation project was a Tour Anderson HVAC controller with Apple IIe programming software. This was in '82. PC based stuff didn't get big until mid '80s.

I probably should have said "All I had back then". I'm taking mid 80s. I started on Omron S6 bricks, and they ONLY had handhelds. When I 'advanced' to the C/K-series, I stuck with the handheld for a while. Software WAS available, but the company couldn't justify buying a $5000+ PC just for for programming my few dozen PLCs... ;)

Remember, there weren't things called 'laptops' back them. You could get a 'portable' computer, which was really just a desktop and (monochrome) monitor in one case with a carrying handle... :ROFLMAO:

I didn't even make the leap when I got into AB stuff. The HHT was fine. When we started getting equipment with Siemens S5s, I needed a way to burn EPROMS. We could have bought a PG, but I convinced them to buy me a PC laptop and prommer so I could use other software as well. That was around 1988 or so.

That was about the same time as I purchased my first 'IBM compatible' desktop for myself (and it was expensive!). Before that, I was a C64/Amiga guy... :cool:

🍻

-Eric

lhughes39 said:
2john55;

Before you go and buy some software you might look into a course at your local community college. this would let you find out more and ask others about what PLC's are most prevalant in your area. Or use the online tutorials on this web site.

I'll vote option 2. I learned more about ladder logic in the two days I spent going over this site's tutorial than anybody I know got going through our local tech school's program. I e-mailed the department head asking about their program after having some cat tell me how great it was and he politely told me that what I already knew about PLC's far outweighed what I would have learned going through the school's course. That was actually what prompted me to buy Phil's book even though I probably have only opened it once or twice since I got it. It now resides in my shop library waiting for another young geek, new to the joy of PLC's, to crack it open.

But if the original poster doesn't have acess to the hardware, then the school thing might be the way to go. Either way, I still think the quickest way to learn is by doing.

Eric Nelson said:
I probably should have said "All I had back then". I'm taking mid 80s. I started on Omron S6 bricks, and they ONLY had handhelds. When I 'advanced' to the C/K-series, I stuck with the handheld for a while. Software WAS available, but the company couldn't justify buying a $5000+ PC just for for programming my few dozen PLCs... ;)

Remember, there weren't things called 'laptops' back them. You could get a 'portable' computer, which was really just a desktop and (monochrome) monitor in one case with a carrying handle... :ROFLMAO:

I didn't even make the leap when I got into AB stuff. The HHT was fine. When we started getting equipment with Siemens S5s, I needed a way to burn EPROMS. We could have bought a PG, but I convinced them to buy me a PC laptop and prommer so I could use other software as well. That was around 1988 or so.

That was about the same time as I purchased my first 'IBM compatible' desktop for myself (and it was expensive!). Before that, I was a C64/Amiga guy... :cool:

🍻

-Eric

C64 was the best. I still have mine (with the 1571) packed away in the basement. I had a neat pixel driven cad program that I used to drawing wiring diagram with. Ah those were the days....

Bob