PV300 Micro, DH485, PC_talk.

Yah right. Ha! There goes my job if I even try that at work. Lets just say, our computers are monitored all the time. At least the ones connected to the internet through our intranet.

Crimson is safe, easy to get off the web. Fits on a 256 megabyte thumbdrive.

That would be cool. I'd have to get him to drop off the software too, on disc, outside of the compound. Hand it all over to IT/Security and wait. I don't know. Might be possible. :ROFLMAO:

Just the hardware. I.T. don't care about no "panel meter salesman".
Going back to the original post a little bit and on the DH485 thing. If you can get a redlion to talk to SLC500s via DH485, does that mean the redlion HMI will show up in Rslinx??? o_O
I'm sure someone has tried this already and knows.
Yes, and you can even make your own eds file so it does not look like a yellow question mark. You don't need it to show up in RSLinx. RSLinx doesn't need to be involved. You will use a PC to transfer your files to it. The method depends on the model.
Can you dry run the redlions and test the screens without having them wired up to and accessing the PLC? I know with the older Panelviews and panelbuilder32, unless you have it hooked up to the PLC, accessing that node and addresses within the tag editor, you end up with a node error pop up on the screen that will not go away making it very difficult (impossible) to just test out your screens to make sure they flow correctly.

I've had a couple of instances where I've downloaded an HMI revision to only find out later that the operator was stuck in a new screen I made with no escape. I swore I but a previous screen button on there! Honest! o_O That was stressful for a couple hours.

I have a conversion method like so:
1) clean up the tags in PB32 first. I am anal about comments and address formatting. Don't be havin' no b3/382 and B3:10/6 in the same table! All the PLC comments and the HMI comments must match.
2) export the PB32 in SLC format (assuming RSLogix500 target PLC(s) )
3) get the sample file I have in the download section that has all the SLC status messages done for you and start with it. (another ASSumption about the target). Convert it to your size screen. If using a Micrologix, some of the status messages may be inaccurate, but the bulk will be there, along with an alarm banner and a screen that shows slot by slot status. You can pick it apart, massage it, delete at will to fit it to your platform.
3) import the tags into Crimson 3.0
4) By importing GOOD tags with GOOD comments, you will have to do little to them in Crimson. Crimson is a whole nuther animal. It is free, installs in seconds and works very very well. It is not perfect, but it is different. Fix your tags in Crimson before you build screens. Pick scaling, colors, formats, labels and units. Then when you drop them on your pages, they will look great already, and if they don't you can alter the appearance with a few clicks. You can rename tags at will and nothing bad will happen. Do not use the underscore followed by a number to end a tag (don't ask me how I learned).

5) run the apps (PB32 and Crimson) side by side and build new screens. You can run multiple instances of Crimson side by side to drag and drop pieces into place.
6) learn about widgets and then teach me ;)

Last edited:
You working at the Navy Base on Nuke stuff or something????
I can not confirm or deny that question. ;)
Let's just say anything with an ethernet port or anything RJ45 looking goes through IT after I order it through our parts guy. They make it hard to easily live in the now.

I am anal about comments and address formatting.
I understand how you feel with that. I'm kind of the same way. Even upper and lower case letters in the tag editor bug me. Stick with one style, I say. I even get irritated when people don't use symbols or comments in rslogix, because "they know" what it is.

I was looking at the RL HMIs last night for a couple hours. I had some questions, but I'll repost on a new thread.

I agree once you see the Red Lion you will like, we currently have 1 in the plant and I like it very functional but also easy to program, looks good, and compared to PV+ I believe quite a bit cheaper.

My company has standardized on EZTouch, which are cheap (price and looks), and moderately functional. Luckily for me I found that EZTouch does not talk to Micro830 so I convinced my boss to let me order another RL, he was hesitant, he almost went back to PV but after we talked about the price, the license for the software, and our current non-Tech Connect situation he conceded to the RL Kadet, less than $400 for a panel and programming cable.

Alright, alright.... I got sucked back into this thread. I was suppose to ask this question on a new thread. But, dlweber brought it back (y)

Someone just holler, if I should re-post this on a new thread. I wish I had the ability to rename the thread all together. :D I would. Just to help others out.

After looking for a couple hours at the RedLion HMIs. šŸ“š Thumbing through manuals and spec sheets on both the RL line and PV+ line, I'm having a difficult time trying to find a RL HMI equivalent that will fit in my existing PV600 standard location with little modification. I have indicator lights and switches already installed above and below the pre-existing PV600 in the control cabinet. I'm limited on space. The hole cut-out for the PV standard seems huge compared to the RL options. I'd have to go up to like a 10" screen to fit the hole that is already there Then that would offset the price and make the RL HMI a more expensive option than say a PV+700 which is suppose to drop right in. Also, the PV+600 will go in with a special bracket. It will be hard pressed to convince the people with the money to buy into non-Allen Bradley HMIs if they don't see any kind of savings or significant benefit in user operation. They don't really care about how it gets wired in, or how its programmed. šŸ™ƒ

I'm trying here. I think I'm screwed for this project. I may have to just conform. Any ideas?

...I also have questions about how the RL HMIs get connected to the SLC500 CPU. But, that's for a different thread, if I can actually get one first.

I just went and measured one of our 6 inch PV Standards and it is 180mm (W) x 150mm (H).

The RL Graphite 7 inch looks to be only 195.5mm (W) x 140mm (H).

Thats pretty close. (These are overall measurements not the cutout)

I Guess the next question would be "which PV600 do you have"??

BCS

Last edited:
"which PV600 do you have"??
The Panelview 600 Standard Color; touch and keypad. It has the RJ45 jack (DH485 programming connector) and the Allen Bradley "special plug" on the bottom (DH485 communication port). I don't remember what the plug is called. It takes the 1747-Cxx cable. 120V Power input. I would give you the model number if I had the screen sitting in front of me; unfortunately, I do not.

after looking at the manual for the RL Graphite 7" (indoor -G07C0000) you speak of...
it shows a cutout of 7.060 (179.3) x 4.869 (123.7). The cut out of the PV600 Standard is 6.57 (167mm) x 10.39 (264mm). ppppfffft! hmmm...

Last edited:
I was just looking at the OkiePC's statement again...
Don't be havin' no b3/382 and B3:10/6 in the same table!

I'm not understanding the relation between the two bits. I've never addressed before in the fashion of b3/382 Is that valid? :confused:

Can you say "adapter plate"?

Adapter plate: $50
Moving from PV to Red Lion: Priceless.

Actually you could put a number to it and it would still put you ahead even after the development costs.

I was just looking at the OkiePC's statement again...

I'm not understanding the relation between the two bits. I've never addressed before in the fashion of b3/382 Is that valid? :confused:

Yes. It is valid. I like to go so far as to change:
B3:10/6 to B3:10/06 just so I can massage the stuff in Excel and have the alphabetic sort order match the bit numbers. I am picky about seeing them sorted with the "/11, /12, /13 bits" ahead of "/2, /3" etc. so I pad them with zeros (in excel using search and replace).

This is not necessary so much for doing the export/import to Crimson, as it is for me copying comments to and from RSLogix 500 to Excel and things like that.

Oh and a tip for Panelbuilder32 users who like to use the scroll mouse:
http://download.cnet.com/KatMouse/3000-18491_4-24138.html

Thanks to Eric Nelson for that jewel. It allows the scroll wheel to work in PB32, although you might have to disable it with AutoCAD.

Last edited:
This adapter plate you speak of, I must have missed that option on the redlion website. Could you point a blind man in the right direction? :geek:

I'm trying gather up a complete parts list, part numbers and estimated cost, to submit to our planner man parts guy and see what happens. Hope for the best, I guess. I want to make sure I get all the parts I need to make this work on this list because it could be a little bit before I see it. I'll forget. I'm getting old. :D

Last edited:
Mickey - I finally got to look at that text file. It wouldn't pull up on my phone at work. Very helpful. Thanks! It makes more sense now. Something I learned in school. Just forgot. I do believe there is a typo in it though. I believe B3/254 was meant to be B3/245 in the example. But I got the gist. (y)

I think I was more confused on how, from the previous reply, that b3/382 and B3:10/6 were the same, just written differently... so clean it up. I believe OkiePC's was just sayin' to have some consistency on how it is written.