PVP Data Store Plus

ASF

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hi all,

I have an application where I want to log batch details to a file after each batch using a PanelView Plus 6. The PLC is a Compact Logix.

From my readings, it looks like the DataStore Plus ActiveX will be the best way to achieve this (although I'm open to any other ideas if people want to throw them out there), but there's just a couple of things I'm not completely sure of. Here's my plan as it stands:

1. Set up PVP with a display that's always active, but out of sight, with the ActiveX control on it. Ensure that this display is run at startup. Set Trigger connection to a PLC tag "Record_Batch_Details"
2. Batch completes. In the PLC, copy all batch data into a UDT and latch "Record_Batch_Details"
3. ActiveX sees the trigger tag go high, and logs the information in the UDT I just stored the data in
4. ActiveX turns off "Record_Batch_Details"
5. 🍺

So, a few questions:
1. How can I make the ActiveX (or really, just the PVP in general) unlatch the Trigger tag once it has finished logging the batch information?
2. Any tips on whether I should use a USB stick or SD card for the data logging? I think a USB stick would be more user friendly as far as the client being able to just plug it in to a PC and grab the log files, but an SD card less prone to it being, er, "borrowed". But beyond those sort of concerns, is there a reliability/speed/anything else factor to the decision?
3. What file path do I need to specify for the datalog to use a USB stick or SD card?

Thanks all!

Okay, so after a bit more of a careful look at the Knowledge Base, I think I've answered question 1:

Technote 520349 (TechConnect required)

There is a handshake connection that can do exactly what I want. I'm not sure if copying and pasting a short excerpt from a technote is allowed, but I'm sure someone will tell me if it's not!

This connection is used for coordinating the controls operations with the automation control system. Assign a boolean controller tag to the connection.

If this connection is set, when the Trigger value is set from a zero to non-zero value, the DataStorePlus ActiveX control object logs one line of data. Then the Trigger and Handshake values are set to False (0), waiting for the user's next trigger.

So the way I read this, if I set both the trigger and the handshake to "Record_Batch_Details", then the ActiveX will record my data and then turn off "Record_Batch_Details". Can anyone confirm or deny this?

Set the trigger bit to record data.
The Handshake bit is set by the Data Store Object to let you know it has completed its operation. I use it to reset the trigger.

Edit: You will need to make a 2 macros
1. Open the main display after opening hidden display Macro > RemoteDisplayTag = (screen number)
2. Reset display control to zero to allow operators to use display navigation. Macro > RemoteDisplayTag = 0

place the macro in the display control properties of each screen. # 1 macro in hidden #2 macro in Main.

of course you have Individually number every screen and use the Remote Display Number in Global Connections.

Last edited:
Thanks cwal! I know that generally, for all operations, the handshake bit is set to 1 once the operation is complete. The way this technote reads is that it would be set to zero once the operation was complete, but you're saying that no, the handshake definitely works the same as every other handshake, and is turned ON when the operation is complete?

Thanks!

That's Correct. It will stay on for maybe 2 seconds then go back off.
One warning on the storage location. If the DataStorePlus object can not find the storage location the marco will not run to open the next screen. You have to acknowledge the error before it will continue. So a removable drive might not be your best selection. If you acknowledge the error the next screen will open and the application will run but, you will not record any Data. The trigger will set but the handshake will not. Also while the hidden screen is opening you will see the default screen of NO SCREEN SELECTED.

Each DataStorePlus object will create only one row of data per trigger.
I have personally used 40 objects to collect data from one page and written to same location and you get 40 rows of information with one trigger. You can also use them with place holders to collect data from page using parameter files. The Trigger and also be an expression using the place holders.

I would also recommend using the template choice to identify your headers instead of the default. This makes reading the data much more user friendly.

One more thing I found the location of your storage file must be in " " marks "Q:\DataStoreFolder\Data.csv" The Template location does not need " " just the location Q:\DataStoreFolder\Template.csv

Good Luck with project

Chris

Thanks a million Chris, that's probably saved me several hours of head scratching over little tricks!

The way I've set this up is that on startup I show a "startup" screen with just the company logo and some text, "Please wait - starting data logging". This startup screen is set up to run a macro when it loads, which will set my remote display number to the hidden data logging display. The data logging display, when it starts, is set to turn on a tag "DataLogging_Started", and reset the remote display number back to zero. Once the Datalogging_Started tag comes on, a "continue" button appears on the startup screen, which will take the use to the main menu. There is no way of getting back to the startup screen so this should all only happen once.

In the event that the storage location is not available, the system will get stuck at the "Please Wait" stage. Eventually someone will call a supervisor, who will notice a little "log in" button in the corner. Once they log in, the continue button appears. This way, it forces the supervisor to be alerted to the fact that the data logging is not being started, but still allows them to run if they really must.

Does that all sound like it'll work?

yes i believe so.
Did you remember to set data screen to be always on top and can not be replaced?
If I remember that is one requirement to ensure that the logging will occur.

Yes, it's set to on top and cannot be replaced.

Thanks a heap!

(by the way - you don't happen to know the file path to a USB stick/SD card do you? I think the SD card is just "\Storage Card", but I'm not sure of the path to a USB stick...

No, I have not put one on Panel View. We only use the 1700P which is an Industrial Computer. I have all of mine mapped to a Network Location or to the Local Hard Drive on the PC. But Please Post your findings when you figure it out. I may need it in the future.

Thanks, Chris

Will do! When I get that far into it I'll head back to the knowledge base and try some more creative key words to see if it'll spit me out the right answer :)

Thanks!

*Bump*

I'm having a bit of a play with this today...I've left the headers as default for the time being, just to check what I need to put in them - but when it logs, it creates headers for all 50 strings and all 100 analogs. Obviously, not a deal breaker, but annoying.

If I create a template, is there any way to have it only populate columns with data in them?

Yes, Look on the first property tab. There is a check box for that. There is also a check box for analog first or string first. There are time stamp and numbering options also. Do not have access to my laptop right now but I can post screen shots later.

Of course, "Log Assigned Connections Only" on the Advanced tab! Thanks, I'll be sure to post back a full report at the end of the job :site:

I see you found it. But here is a screen shot I promised.

The Only issue I have found is on the General Tab. The Timeframe when to start new files. It seems that you need a trigger action around the time chosen to make it work. I have seen where mine have carried over unless that occurs. Still not 100% sure but that my story I am sticking to it.

Snap4.png