Question about testing inputs w/o prog

Scorch Draken

I wanted to make sure before I did this, but is it safe for the input cards to put direct hot to the input points, instead of just going through a switch. I was thinking, that in theory, even going through a switch, it is straight from the hot, but I want to make sure I am right.

I have to do this to test them, because I have no access to a software to make a test program for a PLC-5.

Thank you, this is very useful for me to know. One more thing, do I have to run the power to them from a second power supply at the input power rating?
Sorry, this sounds like gibberish now that I read it.

What I am asking, do I need a power supply apart from the PLC-5's power supply to put the power to the input points?
Example: A 24VDC power supply to run to the points of a 24VDC fast switching input module and the common of it.

In the final installation it will always be recommended to use a separate power supply for your PLC I/O, but in a test environment it will be OK.

I recommend testing all inputs and all outputs with no program in the processor. Or at least with the CPU in "STOP" mode and NOT running a program.

There is no better/safer way to verify wiring.

I recommend testing all inputs and all outputs with no program in the processor. Or at least with the CPU in "STOP" mode and NOT running a program.

There is no better/safer way to verify wiring.

For the OP, testing outputs is not possible in Rockwell PLCs without some kind of program. But a program can consist of no logic, just a h/w configuration that is correct. Then place the PLC in run and force I/O with the programming software.

Last edited: