Quickest way to translate German s7 program

adamplc

Just curious what is the quickest and cleanest way to translate all of a s7 project from German into English? I assume that I would export all the symbols from the symbol table into an excel file, but what about the DB's can these be exported into excel ?

Just curious what is the quickest and cleanest way to translate all of a s7 project from German into English?

Pay a English speaking German :)

I have tried many times and have had no luck, the best way I found was having the orginal machine manufacture do it, but we had to pay

Hire a German!?

No seriously, I just had to do the same with an S7 program done in chinese. Unless you have some sort of auto translator, there may not be a whole lot of benefit to exporting to excel as it is just about as fast to do the typing right in the S7 data table.

I once modifed some german machines for some germans who spoke both english and german, dutche,and many others however the origanal documation was in russin or chech. so I painstakling traced I/O and decoded locic for quite some time. thinking back it might would have been cheeper to hire the OEM to do this for me.

Last edited:
The symbol table should be easy to do but my biggest problem is the DB. Is there a way to export it into any kind of format ?

Double click the DB file, then go to option in the menu.

Select Symbol table

This brings all your symbols up.

Now go to "Symbol Table" in the menu and select export.

They have several formats. It defaults to ASCII.

You can look at that file with Notepad, or port it into excel.

It has an Import option as well, but I can't say from experience what kind of trouble you can get into using. So good luck and hope it works out.

One problem you will encounter in translation of technical German to English is that technical German names tend to use words made up of other words butted together.
For example, the German word Frequenzumrichter you will not find in a translation dictionary as it is actually 2 words. Frequenz meaning Frequency and umrichter meaning inverter.
If you do a bit of detective work you can figure it out, I have done it myself in the past, it is laborious but educational