Read Tags using CIP

I want to make an addition to my statement in post above.
Of course you can issue service 0x53 to a class and an instance. In this case the class is 0x6B which is the ID of the Symbol Class. The problem is that you would need to find out the instance ID of the tag, which is assigned by the Logix application. We discussed this issue to some extent in this not so old post:
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showpost.php?p=868350&postcount=64

Micro850 CIP Messaging

Hi All,
Hope you guys are all well.
Apologies for jumping onto this post but I am new here and this was the closest tread i found to what i require.

I Have a Micro850 PLC and a Banner iVu camera Gen2.
I am trying to read and write to the camera using the MSG instruction but i am having no joy.

Any help or assistance would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!

Joachimg, I think it would have been better if you started a new post, becauue this one post is about reading tags in a logix processor and you are interested in getting data from a camera. What is the specification of the camera. Does it support Ethernet/IP protocol? if so, which class, instance and attribute can be used to access the data? I don't think you provide enough information to be able to help you.

Hi @AlfredoQuintero, thanks for your reply.
1. I did look to create a new post but could not find how, please point me in the right direction.
2. Yes, the protocol is Ethernet/IP, and i think it is class 3.

A picture speaks for a thousand words... is that the correct expression?

I am translating from the Spanish expression: "Una imagen habla por mil palabras"

A picture speaks for a thousand words... is that the correct expression?

I am translating from the Spanish expression: "Una imagen habla por mil palabras"

Yes, that's it; the canonical idiom that I am most familiar with is "A picture is* worth a thousand words," at least in American English, but yes, you got it.

Does the phrase "habla por" have a connotation beyond the literal "speaks for?"

* or "picture's"

Last edited:
After 25 here in Japan, it seems I am forgetting my mother tongue while my English and Japanese do not get any better. Thanks widelto.

Drbitboy, maybe "habla por" is not correct. Although it would be understood. Please learn widelto's expression instead.

Interesting that Google Translate seems to pick up the idiom, and not a literal transl[iter?]ation of [vale más que].

xxx.png

yyy.png

zzz.png

aaa.png

"vale" by itself is "ok"