really cheap HIM and control

Erik vdH

Hi,

I have a customer with a project which calls for a really cheap graphics HMI (pos touch screen) and basic controller. It is for a high end domestic temp controller. Volume will be quite low, anyone come across anything?

Cheers

Remember, cheap hardware doesn't always equate to overall cost savings. You can lose money on development time, troubleshooting, compatibility issues, etc. Its usually more cost-effective to provide hardware/software that is familiar to the developer, ever if it costs a bit more on the front end.

$

Thanks for all the suggestions, I will look them up. Regarding the contradiction between cheap and high end, I guess anything more than a thermostat is high end for the domestic situation!

I am out of my normal league here.

But what about an "intelligent relay" ?
I think that some have analog inputs, and I also think that some have a small display and a few buttons.
And they fit in one of these enclosures where you normally place circuit breakers in domestic installations.

Erik,

If it is a domestic HVAC system (Heating, Ventilation, & Air Conditioning) then one of your big problems will be how to interface a PLC to the 24 volts AC power common in HVAC controls (here in the US anyway).

There are a few PLCs that will accept 24 VAC inputs (such as the AUTOMATION DIRECT F1-130DR). It seems that getting the proper interface would be more important than the cost. If a cheap PLC will not accept 24 VAC inputs and outputs (or whatever is used in New Zealand), then you are looking at adding a bunch of interface relays and a power supply. Suddenly your cost has gone above what it would be to have bought the right PLC in the beginning.

Last edited: