Really Old FANUC CNC info

allscott

Does anyone have any good resources, web sites, etc.. with information or discussion on older Fanuc CNC controls?

I live in a small town in the middle of nowhere and there really isn't any CNC type gurus around here. I am trying to help out a local machine shop that has 3 Gildemeister CNC lathes with fanuc controls all manufactured around 1980.

I'd like to point them towards an upgrade path but would like to better understand what they have before I do that.

This is kind of a pro bono help your neighbour type thing.

Any help or info would be appreciated.

bob1371 said:
www.cnczone.com is a good place to start.
What control models?

Bob

Thanks, I'm over there now. I just briefly had a look at the machines and they appear to have Mate controllers? Seems to be an oddball.

Last edited:
Fanuc CNC Controls

Hi Allscot,

Another useful link will be this one to a GE Fanuc CNC Forum.
http://gefanuc.bnsi.net/eforum/forumdisplay.php?f=75

I guess you are referring to the Fanuc Series 0-Mate control.

The Fanuc CNC control systems tended to be grouped under 'Series' numbers... Series 0, Series 10, Series 11, series 16, 18, 20 etc. (Siemens refer to their older controls as 'System' numbers... System 3, system 6, system 8 etc)

The Fanuc Series numbers were also constructed from other control feature attributes....
eg.

Series 0MA
This is a Series 0 Control for a Machining Centre (M) and is an early version A

Series 0TC
This is a Series 0 Control for a Lathe (Turning Centre (T)) and is one of the later version C units.

Interestingly, Siemens System 6 was half Siemens and half Fanuc!
(I believe they got into bed together for a short time in the early '80s)

Anyway, if you want to be more specific about the 'Series' of controls you have there, then perhaps I can give you further information. (I have some documentation I have collected over the years)

Also, I have had some first hand heart-ache with some of these controls! so I may also be able to help in some way if you run into difficulties.

ATB Richard.

Allscott,

Good luck in your quest, but don't get your hopes up. Fanuc (including GE Fanuc) has a miserable track record of supporting CNC end users. Their entire sales and support policy is geared toward the machine tool OEMs. End users are expected to get their support from the OEMs.

In addition to the numbered Series controls that rlmts mentioned, there was also the PowerMate models. I'm aware of PowerMate D, PowerMate E and PowerMate H. There may be others.

The brief joint venture between Fanuc and Siemens was called General Numerics. I believe they had their own nameplate and didn't have Fanuc's name prominently displayed.