Recommend me a HMI and programming Package

Had a look and looks quite impressive. Only problem is the 10" touch screens appear to have keypad buttons. Do you know if they have any others?

all of the red lion have the keypad on them except for the kadet line, but I dont believe they make a 10". they also arent class1 div 2 if that makes a difference.

http://www.redlion.net/Products/HumanMachineInterface/ProductFamilies/G3Kadets.html

also you can check out proface, they make pretty good stuff. Id stay away from the GE quickpanels. the old models were solid but the newer quickpanel views havent been reliable plus the proficy software isnt that user friendly IMHO.

Last edited:
Had a look and looks quite impressive. Only problem is the 10" touch screens appear to have keypad buttons. Do you know if they have any others?

The keypad can be used for swapping screens, popup menus, etc. I've installed a good number of them and have had great success with them.

We use the 15" display almost exclusively now.

With the G3, I have only used the membrane "MENU" button as a redundant method for getting to the main screen, so as far as appearance, the buttons might be an issue, but you certainly aren't required to use them in your application.

Another +1 for redlion. You can download the software free, build your screens and use the built in emulator to try them before even purchasing the hardware.

I got a call from a sales rep at Red Lion today. Unfortunately they dont make a 10" without keypad buttons so thats a non runner I'm afraid. Pity though as they sound great.

We decided not to use button because it tends to confuse customers at the paypoint. They see buttons and they start clicking on them rather than using screen to navigate to make a purchase.

Any other suggestion really welcome. Siemens & AB need not apply! No offence to either, just toooooo expensive

Those buttons by default do nothing, you can program them for any function. Page navigation, or they can be programmed to the same function as any button on the screen...just a thought.

Those buttons by default do nothing, you can program them for any function. Page navigation, or they can be programmed to the same function as any button on the screen...just a thought.

the problem with the buttons is that you need to identify them some kind of way. if you set them up for navigation you have to either put text next to them on the screen(whats the point of the buttons in that case? or make some type of tags and stick them next to the buttons. IMHO the buttons are pointless on a touch screen. hopefully red lion ditches them somewhere down the line. I thought the kadet might have been heading that way but apparently not.

the problem with the buttons is that you need to identify them some kind of way. if you set them up for navigation you have to either put text next to them on the screen(whats the point of the buttons in that case? or make some type of tags and stick them next to the buttons. IMHO the buttons are pointless on a touch screen. hopefully red lion ditches them somewhere down the line. I thought the kadet might have been heading that way but apparently not.
Agreed, I'm not sure what they were thinking with the buttons. Putting labels next to them looks hack, and it takes a lot of trial and error to get screen text lined up with them (not to mention the waste of screen space--why not just have a touch button?). Plus they have kind of a mushy feel... if they had more of a crisp action, I might consider them for certain things. I suppose an operator could more easily target a physical button than a touch cell.

I agree, most of the time I would rather not have the buttons. I have used a Kadet where I needed a smaller HMI without buttons. But the buttons do have a few uses. I have one HMI where I have a few buttons that I do not want accidentally pressed. The soft buttons take a deliberate press unlike a button on the screen.
Also using the webserver and remote view you can assign the buttons to change pages. This allows a remote viewer to change pages, but not press anything on the screen. If your only navigation is on the screen itself, you would have to allow full access to a remote viewer so they could change pages.

Hi friends;
I also need advise to selection of HMI wich able to communicate via SNP X serial with PLc ce funac 90-30 CPU 351 series. And have the following feature
1. Alarm and shutdown display
2. Trends and graphs generate from the run time data
3. Support scripting to calculate mathmatically functions and able to show variable data within scripting to show final values
4. Normal graphics library.
5.Most probably if free or in very cheep prices
Regards

Another vote for the Red Lion Displays. Unless you need a lot of animation, they are great. Software is free, so you can try it out. My AB rep told me they have come down on the price for the panelviews, and asked me if I would come back to them... I told him no. I like having the dedicated menu button, but mostly just use the other buttons as quick shortcuts.... Ussually unlabled, but if the operator chooses can quickly move around. But the main navigation is from the screen.