Recover Project from Failed Panelview

Tim Ganz

We have a PanelView 1000 2711P-RP1A Series E Rev G that failed and won't power up. Unfortunately, this is a large and complex application and there is no backup of it.

I was hoping to maybe disassemble it and see if I can take out the hard drive or flash memory and slave it to another machine and see if I can recover it.

Has anyone ever done this or had any success? Not sure if the hard drive / or flash storage is soldered in place?

Those Logic Modules had both an external removable CompactFlash slot, as well as an internal CF card that was held in place with a simple plastic tab and screw . It's right there on the main board when you unscrew and remove the Logic Module from the Display Module.

Those CF cards actually have five different partitions on them, and I think two of those partitions are accessible to Windows. One of those will contain the Runtime folder with the *.MER compressed runtime file.

Back in the day I would install those on a Linux laptop and image the whole thing with the ordinary dd command.

If the project was not saved with "do not allow Runtime recovery", then you *should* be able to recover a FTView ME Studio project from the Runtime file. There are some details and wrinkles and variables about that, but it's definitely worth a shot.

You could also take the CF card and just install it in a new Logic Module of the same generation and it should run. The whole OS and firmware are on that CF card, so only the hardware has to be compatible.

Those Logic Modules had both an external removable CompactFlash slot, as well as an internal CF card that was held in place with a simple plastic tab and screw . It's right there on the main board when you unscrew and remove the Logic Module from the Display Module.

Those CF cards actually have five different partitions on them, and I think two of those partitions are accessible to Windows. One of those will contain the Runtime folder with the *.MER compressed runtime file.

Back in the day I would install those on a Linux laptop and image the whole thing with the ordinary dd command.

If the project was not saved with "do not allow Runtime recovery", then you *should* be able to recover a FTView ME Studio project from the Runtime file. There are some details and wrinkles and variables about that, but it's definitely worth a shot.

You could also take the CF card and just install it in a new Logic Module of the same generation and it should run. The whole OS and firmware are on that CF card, so only the hardware has to be compatible.

Thanks Ken I am going to try this route.