Recovery Software

The Plc Kid

For anyone who needs it Horizon Data Systems just released a home version of their rollback RX product for free. http://www.horizondatasys.com/en/products_and_solutions.aspx?ProductId=40#Features

I have been using the pro version for many years and I love this software. Dos not matter how bad windoze is or any other application is messed up this will always restore to a good earlier point.

The free version givers you 7 snapshots so that is good for most uses. This helps keep your machine in pristine condition by reverting to your base snapshot frequently.

So what would be the difference than using Win system restore (as long as you do a restore point prior to software change, just in case it didn't make one) ? After reading the ad l can see maybe some small advantage rolling back compared to restore, a big advantage would be if it can get a non working PC info back.

Last edited:
So what would be the difference than using Win system restore (as long as you do a restore point prior to software change, just in case it didn't make one) ? After reading the ad l can see maybe some small advantage rolling back compared to restore, a big advantage would be if it can get a non working PC info back.

Because windows system restore sucks. It will only rescue you about 70% of the time. Plus system restore is windows dependent. If your core OS is really hosed system restore can't help you.

This software loads higher than windows and can restore no matter how bad the OS is hosed because it's not OS dependant.

It will restore from MBR problems, Partition problems, etc.

Windows system restore is false security in my book. I have known so many people to think system restore would solve and issue and they used it as a backup method. When it failed and they had no other backup of their data they lost everythng.

Same goes for RollBack RX though it's not a replacement for a good backup strategy but it can save you when you are traveling and have no access to your backups.

When l have had issues restore has fixed them. l do periodic complete reformats including rewriting the hard drive, knowing l now have a computer back to newish condition (no virus or other issues and they can't follow my **** trail ha ha) as well as knowing no possible trail of malaware, which may still be included in your snapshots. Reloading all my software (and l have **** loades not just PLC based stuff) . Most people might think this is a big hassle but l have the time and don't mind relearning how things operate. The issue with snapshots are they may have a trojan/malaware already in the system.

I plan to try it at home, thanks for the heads up, the link for the free version is near the bottom of this page:
http://blog.horizondatasys.com/introducing-rollback-rx-home-edition-freeware/
Horizon DataSys Corporation is a privately held software company headquartered in Blaine, Washington which develops, publishes, and distributes branded computer software applications specializing in end-point PC management, OS integrity, and instant restore.
Download the program here: http://******/1x8GIwe

Last edited:
When l have had issues restore has fixed them. l do periodic complete reformats including rewriting the hard drive, knowing l now have a computer back to newish condition (no virus or other issues and they can't follow my **** trail ha ha) as well as knowing no possible trail of malaware, which may still be included in your snapshots. Reloading all my software (and l have **** loades not just PLC based stuff) . Most people might think this is a big hassle but l have the time and don't mind relearning how things operate. The issue with snapshots are they may have a trojan/malaware already in the system.

If you take a baseline snapshot after you get you pc back to newish condition you can always go back to that. Yes you could have a virus on a snapshot and not know it but for most cases going back to a snapshot will take care of most virus issues.

Also I don't mean to burst your bubble but if you think a periodic reformat keeps you 100% safe from virus and malware you have a false sense of computer security.

There are many malware and root kits that can survivve a reformat and some even a wipe if the partitions are left intact and some things can still hide in the drives HPA.

Malware can also live on flash media (USB Thumb Drives)and in your external backups,etc and when your reinstall everything including your files the infection is back.

When l have had issues restore has fixed them.

If Windows system restore works for you 100% that's good but I work on campus IT so much each week to help with tuition and I encounter 10-15 pc's per week with issues and I have seen the buit in system restore leave people hanging more than I have seen it save them.

That's just been my experience with it YMMV.

Also I don't mean to burst your bubble but if you think a periodic reformat keeps you 100% safe from virus and malware you have a false sense of computer security.

There are many malware and root kits that can survivve a reformat and some even a wipe if the partitions are left intact and some things can still hide in the drives HPA.

Hi PLC kid, l did say l rewrite the disk (including Host Protected areas), so if they can hid in hardrive and not get rewritten then good luck to them.
But of course this is all academic, if as you advise, you have problems in your storage drives and reinfect ( l run checks on my storage files).
I'm am no computer geck, but l think what l attempt is a good start and my computer stuff is not so important that l can't live without.
But in saying all that l have downloaded a copy of the software, he he
Thanks for the Info

I use a program called "Reflect." You have another storage spot (network disk for a laptop, an external, or another disk for a desktop) and you set reflect to make backups at certain intervals for you and just keep a boot disk handy. It will write a 1:1 hard drive image for you and completely restore you disk to the state it was in before you had issues. This includes bootloaders.

I have read some reviews re - rollback RX and it comes in at #7 out of 10, but one of the BIG advantages of it (if l works as well as described) is it uses little RAM to operate. The #1 uses 1 GB of RAM continuously were RX uses something like 64MB. They seem to want 1GB of hard-drive for memory which wouldn't be the problem.
I am going to do a test on a laptop l am just rewriting/formatting and l have some software which hides it's demo date/time frame well ( i.e they cheat and don't sign it with their name in the root or else where l have looked). I am going to try restore and RX and see if they can roll it back. With out a in-depth look at RX (or the others) l wonder how they can do bit for bit roll back when they don't copy all the drive (i.e. use very little memory, hopefully someone can pass on info without me looking it up)

Well, l have now after a lot of hassles with computer going AWOL, have removed Roll_Back. Computer now working correctly
On this particular computer (laptop with 110 GB of hard drive) with about 50 GB used, it has gobbled up most of the memory. Put computer into blue screen, which could only be restarted by Roll_Back then would not allow to delete stuff to get the memory back down. I would have tried RESTORE but couldn't because RB had used all the hard drive and wouldn't allow anything to happen. Be aware of how much memory this stuff uses. It does copy your files/software for recovery, but at the similar memory size. So have a big hard drive. I had a bit of a look to see if it could save a copy to another hard drive , but couldn't see it in the basic drop down menus, but I'm sure someone will correct me on this.
I would suggest it might be worthwhile if you have big enough hard drive, but for this particular laptop it is history.