Red lion cr1000

Joel Mancilla

Hi Folks,

I have received Red Lion CR1000 which supposed to be programmed. Unfortunately, the sender forgot to download the program. I don't have the USB cable and will take tie to get one. The only option is through Ethernet. Is there any specific instruction how to do it? I did research in the youtube but can't find one. I already downloaded Crimson 3.0 software, tried my self but I always got ERROR - Unable to open communication port.. Many thanks in advance for your help...

Out of the box, IP (Ethernet) downloading is disabled. Allegedly, you can hold the little reset button with a paperclip while powering it up and get to a system menu that will allow you to set a static IP and enable IP downloading. I have had mixed results with getting that to work.

So, the USB "printer cable" is one way to get a file dumped into it from Crimson 3.1
Another method is to use a 2gb SD card formatted FAT (FAT16). In Crimson 3.1 File Menu select "Save Image" and save the file to that SD card with the name "image.ci3". Wait a minute or two to make sure that the file is completely built before you eject the card from your PC. When you create the image, Crimson will act like it is done instantly, but behind the scenes, it takes more than a few seconds to actually complete this task.

Once you have the file image.ci3 on a 2gb memory card ready, power down the HMI, insert the card, and power it up. It should come up and say "VERIFYING IMAGE ON MEMORY CARD" followed by "LOADING FROM MEMORY CARD".

This will update the firmware too and is what I normally end up doing to get a CR series HMI ready for operation from a brand new condition and I leave the card in the unit so that future replacements are as simple as moving the card to the new HMI and powering it up. I have had one situation where apparently the HMI did not recognize an old image file as being newer than its boot image so it would not load from the card so I had to dig out a USB cable to get it done.

In my opinion, IP download and some default IP address should be enabled right out of the box.