Red Lion CUB5 #CUB50000

John O'Hara

Trying to get this thing to COUNT.
Just a simple count, no math or anything.
I want it to increment on an output from a Siemens 305 PLC.
I tried ground level & tried 24vdc.
Nothing works.
I am able to tell it to reset to factory settings.
This thing is more complicated than I need at this time.
At this time, I do not want dualcounter.
Maybe later?
I just want to know WHAT to send it so it will count.
Thanks
icon8.gif

If you do have a CUB50000 (the older model) the all you need to do is have the output of your PLC short Input A to Common. If you are using a relay, it will more than likely chatter and cause it to count by more than 1. All you need to do is tie a jumper between Filter A and Common to add in a low-pass filter to overcome the contact bounce.

Regards,
Dan

Thanks Dan, That sounded simple enough. I still can't get it to count.
I tried what you suggest using a jumper-wire from Inp-A to common. No count. Tried Inp-B as well...no count. Jumped the Filter-A to common...no help. Maybe it is defective?...but I did get it to count awhile back, but don't remember what I did? I do remember it was not easy. Back then, I did see bounce (more than 1 count)but now I can't get any counts no matter what.
It is odd that I can go thru the programming Ok. I seem to remember that was the key back then, but now I have reset it to FACt SEt repeatedly after trying all kinds of various settings.
I may throw this one in the wood-burner soon. I will then look for one of the newer ones if they are the same size, as I already cut a hole in my control panel for this one?

I just d/loaded the newer intruction sheet & the old & new are the same dimensions.

Thanks
John

Still trying....
I just got it to count...albeit wildly incrementing. I turned Rate enable OFF. Now Inp-B causes a wild count using my jumper-wire.
At least it is not DEAD.
I am now going to add the Filter-B jumper.

I did that. I also put Inp_B on a relay ouput with the PLC card sourced to CUB's common....
It works !!!

I don't know why Inp-A is deaf, but I am getting somewher anyhow.

That is good to hear. I have asked on the the panel meter guys to sign up to help out. I have not suuported the panel meters in 4 years, so I am a bit rusty.

Regards,
Dan

It's now counting using INP_B with filtering triggered by a relay card on PLC. That is all I need right now. I may play with it later for other features? The only delema now is that I had to add a relay card to the PLC. The commons on these go to 4 potential outputs. So I waste 3 outputs, just to use one, being that the card common goes to common on the CUB5, which is of no other use to me for the other 3 relay ouputs. I guess I can utilize 1 other relay output to the CUB common by programming the 'program' screw of the CUB to another relay output. This way, I can force an output to it, and enter program mode of CUB5. This will allow me to NOT allow reset of counter via CUB5 front panel, only when I force the output and enter program mode to allow reset temporarily.

SO...I am good to got for what I want to do. CUB5 is real powerfull, but overly complicated for my app.

Docs for it should provide examples for at least the simplest of count jobs, in my opinion.