Redlion to Beckhoff intermittent comms fault

mjoubert

Hi,

Anyone using a Redlion to communicate to a Beckhoff PLC? CX9020 or similar.

Set up comms and all was working for about a month then comms between the 2 devices fails. I can comm directly to both devices from the hub, but they don't see each other, which is strange.

After setting the boot up time under the Redlion ADS settings to 12 sec the problem seemed to be gone..... But alas, a few days later, my woes continue.

I have tried various timeout settings with no luck.

Has anyone else encountered this problem?

Do you have any network scanner that could help you to identify what is happening under the hood?

There are implementations of fieldbusses from different brands that are far from being excellent.

Time ago I discovered that ATV31 series (drives from Schneider) working with CANOpen didn't followed the CANOpen standards and were started without receiving the start command from the master. This issue is still there and we had to demonstrate the company (Schneider) that it was happening using a network sniffer.

I have seen problems with CX9xxx that had VISU and PTP licenses working at the same time. Who knows if this could be the reason.

IT could also be a physical issue... try to remove the hub and connect them using a crossed cable, check if there are some non compliant EMC devices near the communications...

Hope this helps even it is too general...

Good luck!