Refresher on Panelview... reusing file with a new PLC: Tag considerations

AutomationTechBrian

Lifetime Supporting Member
I'm working with a Panelview for the first time in a long while, and I'm thinking through how I'm going to reuse a file from a machine the customer had me copy to create the new (used) machine. All the tags are the same, except the controller name (on a CompactLogix 1769-L33ER) is different. Will I need to update all the tags on each screen one at a time, or is there a way to batch change all the tags to the new controller?

The actual name of the controller isn't used anywhere in FT View. Instead, you create a shortcut (in FT Linx Communication Setup) for each PLC device. That shortcut gets assigned a name of your own choosing. Just make your new shortcut name match the one in the existing program you want to reuse.

That would be easier than trying to change the name of every reference in the application.

OG