Remote I/O and HMI for a test stand

pauly

I was looking at installing some remote I/O and possibly an HMI into small mobile desk. The desk will be used to control two motor controllers for start/stop speed and torque for a test stand. The existing unit has potentiometers and a simple analogue display for speed feedback. Instead of running multiple cables back to the main panel and leveraging more operator information, I thought about a communications link (profinet, Porfibus, ethernet/IP, nothing decided yet).
I believe the existing, lets call it an operator console, gets unplugged and plugged in to the three different test stand areas as required. I believe only one stand is in use at a time.
So my concern is the connection and disconnection of any communication.
Has any body used HMI's or remote I/O like this before? I would be interested in any feedback. I have toyed with the idea of wireless Ethernet as well as there is around 30 meters between the furthest unit and the main panel

Certainly no problem with an S7-1200/1500 system with Profinet I/O and KTP TP being plugged/unplugged.

I've used the Maple System HMIs to simulate IO to the PLC. You have to do a little bit of coding on the PLC side but it's a lot cheaper to use the HMI to simulate IO then to buy a bunch of remote IO.