Remote Win2k Server RSLinx Gateway EDS File Install

OkiePC

Lifetime Supporting Member
Is there a way for me to manually install eds files on a server which I don't have admin rights? Using the installation wizards, the install files option is greyed out, and the administrator is gone for the day.

I have the files on my local PC and I can VNC onto the server. It seems I have done this before by knowing where to copy and paste the files but that was many moons ago and I am not sure it would still be a valid method on a Windows2000 Server running RSLinx Classic Gateway v 2.50

If not, it can wait til tomorrow...

Thanks in advance...

EDIT: The reason? I have a SLC5/04 connected through a NET ENI module that shows up as unrecognized through an regular ethernet driver, and shows up as an ENI under an ethernet/IP driver, but on my local PC RSLinx Who, it shows up as a SLC 5/04. I need to an OPC topic on the server for the SLC, but can't "see" it from there.

ServerRSLinx_NET_ENI_SLC_504.JPG

Last edited:
Unfortunately for your situation, the answer is no. EDS file registration requires additions to the Windows Registry, and while you might have a Power User or User account with permission to do that, most Windows 2000 Servers restrict that function to Administrator accounts.

All the EDS files reside in C:\Program Files\Rockwell Software\RSCommon\EDS but DO NOT just copy the file into that directory. RSLinx won't be able to use the file until it is registered in Windows, and pointing the Hardware Installation utility at a file that is already in that directory is a surefile trip to Reinstallation City.

I got my rights updated to Admin today and tried adding the latest and greatest EDS file for the 1761-ENI/D that we are using and still have the same situation. I don't suppose it would do any harm to load all three EDS files that I found?

I am now looking for the EDS for the 5/04 processor, but not having any luck finding it at ab.com.

I guess I will RTFM for the 1761-ENI and see if that turns up any new ideas, but first I have to go fix a barcode reader in that same area of the plant. While I am out there, I will check the decals of the parts involved to make sure I know the exact revision levels of the hardware.

Thanks for the response, Ken, and if you think of any other thing I can try to change yellow "unrecognized device" icon into a SLC5/04, be sure to let me know!

Hey, I think we got it...In the station mapping, we had a v4 suffix that had to be removed.

We had tried that temporarily yesterday, but we did not close the RSWho window to force RSLinx to refresh it's graphics, so it still showed the 1761-ENI.

Now I think we are in business!