Replaced Cpu And Still Having Problems

freedommaint

i AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH AN SLC 5 PLC. RS LINX IS ABLE TO FIND BOTH NODES. BUT, WHEN I TRY TO GO ONLINE WITH THE PLC RS LOGIX STOPS SHOWING NODE 0 WHEN IT TRIES TO CREATE THE NEW FILE. I FIGURED IT WAS THE CPU, SO I REPLACED IT. BUT I STILL CANT GET COMMUNICATION WITH IT. I DID NOT HAVE THE FIRMWARE, SO I USED THE ONE OUT OF THE OLD PROCESSOR. ANYONE THAT CAN TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT? I SHOULD WOULD APPRECIATE IT!

Redo.

Please try to explain what you are doing, how things are set up, what trouble you are having.
i AM HAVING A PROBLEM WITH AN SLC 5 PLC. RS LINX IS ABLE TO FIND BOTH NODES.

Both nodes? What's the network configuation? Which model of SLC?

BUT, WHEN I TRY TO GO ONLINE WITH THE PLC...

How are you going on-line? Channel 0. DH+? DH-485?

...RS LOGIX STOPS SHOWING NODE 0 WHEN IT TRIES TO CREATE THE NEW FILE.

Huh? RSLogix will create try to create a new file when it tries to go online with a PLC that it doesn't have (or know where) the current offline copy off. How does that relate to "showing node 0"?

I FIGURED IT WAS THE CPU, SO I REPLACED IT. BUT I STILL CANT GET COMMUNICATION WITH IT.

How did you figure THAT? If RSlogix was trying to create a file, then you WERE communicating with it.

I DID NOT HAVE THE FIRMWARE, SO I USED THE ONE OUT OF THE OLD PROCESSOR.

You did WHAT? How? Why? What EXACTLY did you do to the poor processor?

ANYONE THAT CAN TELL ME ANYTHING ABOUT IT? I SHOULD WOULD APPRECIATE IT!

Tell you anything about what?

A little more information

Allen,

Please try to explain what you are doing, how things are set up, what trouble you are having .

You are definitely right there. Rereading it, I was in too much of a hurry when i wrote it, and did not give near enough information for anyone to help me.

As for the rest of the post, the tone is unnecessary. Most of that is probably from what gets lost in written communication. I AM learing PLCs and I will be around for a while, so I think it might be worth my time to give a that post a little background and see if maybe I can get a little more positive and possibly even helpful communication going here.

It all started about a year ago, when my maintenance manager dropped a pico controller and the manual into my lap and said, "This is much cheaper than all those timers you have in this circuit." I have been teaching myself to program PLCs now for a year (part time....i might not even include it in my job description). I know how to write programs to replace circuits and some basic troubleshooting. I pick out my own hardware.

Part of the reason for my post was laziness (not wanting to sit in front of an AB manual all day.) The other part was hoping that someone might explain some broader things to me (because i have probably assumed incorrectly on how things work....especially with regards to the way a computer and PLC communicate).

Anyway, the best answers i can give to your questions.....

Both nodes? What's the network configuation? Which model of SLC?
When referring to both nodes, I meant 0 ITLAPTOP (the computer i was on) and 1 the SLC.Maybe node is not the right word. It is a SLC 5/01.
Network configuration?

How are you going on-line? Channel 0. DH+? DH-485?

This is what I know: I change the driver from RS232/DF1 to 1747 PIC/AIC in three places (as the driver for my com [ort, driver for RS :inx, and in the tools/options/sys. comm. menu in RS Logix). Is normally all I have to do. Channel 0? Yep, remember seeing that in octal somewhere. DH + i think, but i cant say for sure.

Huh? RSLogix will create try to create a new file when it tries to go online with a PLC that it doesn't have (or know where) the current offline copy off. How does that relate to "showing node 0"?

This one I dont understand at all, but maybe node isn't the right word. When i tried to go online with the PLC, I chose "Who Active Go Online." Both RS Linx and Who Active showed 0 ITLAPTOP and 1 SLC 5/01 . When i tried to go online, it would do the create new file and then there would be a red x through 0 ITLAPTOP on who active, but not on RS Linx!?. It would then give me a message that led me to believe that he processor may be bad. We had a spare.....Why not try it?

How did you figure THAT? If RSlogix was trying to create a file, then you WERE communicating with it.

The error message said that it was unable to communicate with the processor and the processor may be corrupt. I probably should have put that in there.

You did WHAT? How? Why? What EXACTLY did you do to the poor processor?

I upgraded the firmware. As per the manuals instructions. Because it had a sticker that said "this processor requires a firmware upgrade" on it. What did exactly is in the AB manual.... I pretty much took the old firmware chip. Put it in the new processor. Watched the light show to verify that it loaded correct Then, took it out.

Tell you anything about what?

AB processors, programming software....why they might not want to talk? What do they say at the time that the create new file comes up?
Why i seemed to have communication, then they told me that they weren't communicating. If firmware could cause this problem. What exactly is firmware? Your third question is probably my main question though....Why would it say on my laptop that it cant find ITLAPTOP? Why does it happen right at create new file?

To communicate with an SLC-5/01 you must have a 1747-PIC module. Do you have one? Is the PIC module plugged directly into the serial port (DB9 type connector) of your computer - or are you plugging it into a USB port (square type connector) by using a USB/Serial adapter? (These can give problems). If you are using a USB/Serial adapter, what brand is it? (Some work better than others).

The RSLinx driver you should be using is “1747-PIC / AIC+”.

On most computer systems, to use the PIC module, you must DELETE (not just stop) any other RSLinx drivers which MIGHT be trying to use the serial port (COM1). With many systems, you must then actually REBOOT the computer - so that Windows will relinquish control of the serial port. Then Windows can reclaim the serial port for use by the PIC driver. What Windows operating system are you using? The 1747-PIC driver is not supported in all Windows versions.

Are you sure that the serial port on your computer is actually enabled? Some computer systems lately have been leaving the factory with the serial port disabled - presumably to save battery power. Judging from your posts, this is not your problem - but something to be aware of.

Suggested course of action - delete all RSLinx drivers - reboot the computer - add the “1747-PIC / AIC+” driver in RSLinx - connect one cable from the 1747-PIC module to your computer’s serial port - connect the other cable from the 1747-PIC module to the port on your SLC-5/01. Go to the RSWho screen in RSLinx - keep clicking until the three little yellow boxes (the network icon for the PIC driver) are flashing blue and yellow in a marching pattern - you should see the SLC-5/01’s icon (with no red X) meaning that your computer is currently communicating with the SLC. If the icon boxes are NOT marching, then the network is NOT being browsed. Make sure the network IS being browsed (trying to find your SLC).

Get the above step done first. Secret handshake: If RSLinx can’t communicate with the SLC, then RSLogix500 doesn’t stand a chance of communicating with it either. In other words, RSLogix500 MUST communicate THROUGH RSLinx.

Once you have RSLinx communicating as described above, then doing “Who Active Go Online” in RSLogix500 should be a piece of cake. You may have to create a new file the first time - or if the SLC’s memory has been cleared (highly likely from your previous posts) then you must create a new OFFLINE file and then DOWNLOAD it to the SLC. Post again with specific questions if you need help with this
procedure.

Edit P.S. - for completeness, besides using a 1747-PIC module - your laptop computer COULD communicate with an SLC-5/01 using a 1784-PCMK card and a 1784-PCM4 cable. This is an expensive solution - and judging from your previous posts, this is not the way you are trying to communicate.

Last edited:
DH485 or DH+

The answer was actually in Allens post. I looked it up in the manual, because i wasn't sure. Sure enough i should have been uing DH 485 instead of DH+, although I'm not sure what the difference is. All the other SLCs we have do use DH+. Apparently the difference is the firmware version that is installed.
The main problem was that, as you said, I always get communication through RS Linx first and RS Linx never showed me losing communication with it. Matter of fact, the SLC never had an X through it....just ITLAPTOP. I sthere somewhere I can learn what all that full duplex/half duplex/DH485?etc means? We dont have the manual that should have come with RS Logix (it was installed by the IT dept. at our plant up north and their not sure where the documentation is). I tried looking it up on the AB website, but it is hard to find anything without the publication number (and it is still hard then lol).
I actually have a very good text that i downloaded for free, but it did not go into a lot of detail on the communication part. It mainly talks about the physical difference in th RS432, RS434A, and network connections.
Thanks for the help.