Less suction pressure on Blower after Star-delta starter replaced by VFD

FLA = 36A
Overload Trip Level FU1-67 =120%
Acceleration Time = 20s
Previously used = Thermal Overload set at 22A( as star delta config.)

Soon i will let you know shaft rpm. Currently out of site.

Should i try increasing frequency? But i think that will increase the current.

Also could you please tell me how current limiting decrease the output frequency?

Thanks
In the highlighted information, you must understand that in MOST Star-delta motor starters, the OL relay is placed only in the Delta contactor circuit, so it is set to 56% of the motor FLA. That's about right for a motor with a nameplate FLA of 38A. So in reality, when you had the motor connected in Star-Delta, the TOTAL motor OL current setting would have been 22A/.56 = 39A, maybe a tad high actually. So if you are now pulling 34A, you are fine. I think you were thinking that the 22A was the actual FLC of the motor, it never was.

What size is the drive?

You gave us the brand and model, but what about the size?

For the motor you described I expect it would be a 0185 or 0220.

With FU1-40 set to linear, it should allow the V to go to maximum input at full frequency. If it were me, I would set FU1-40 to "Squared", that's how you save energy with a VFD, but that's a side issue, not what's causing you a headache right now.

Did you read DRV-10, the DC bus voltage? There is noting in the VFD that reads the actual line voltage, it doesn't really care actually. It just converts it to DC, so all it really needs is a high enough DC bus voltage to be able to create an RMS output voltage to match your motor. So where are you reading 360V from? DRV-11? That's the only valid place to read the output voltage. If you are reading it with a basic hand-held digital meter, the accuracy of that value is suspect unless it is a VERY expensive meter with the proper PWM and harmonic filtering capability necessary to read the output of a VFD. "True RMS meters" do really do a good enough job of that in most cases, partly because there is no real definition of what that means. It's more related to the price tag of the meter than anything else.

So I suspect that if you are reading it from a hand held meter, it's a worthless value. If you are reading 360V from DRV-11, then I would expect the value of DRV-10 (the DC bus) to be around 510VDC. If DRV-10 reads 580V, then I would expect DRV-11 to be 410VAC. By the way, if your input voltage is 410VAC, your output voltage cannot be more than 410VAC, there is no magic going on here that can create voltage that is not there...

So, IF you are reading only 510VDC on DV-10, yet your incoming line voltage is truly 410VAC, then what might be happening is that you have excessive DC bus ripple. That can be caused by a severe voltage imbalance on the AC input such as a phase loss, or it could mean you have capacitor failures taking place inside of the VFD. If your incoming voltage is balanced +-5%, then I'd suspect the DC bus caps are failing.

The iP5A drive line is over a decade old now, so if you bought it used or even if you bought it new, it's possible that you got hold of one that has been on the shelf somewhere for years. If so, the supplier should have warned you to perform a "capacitor reforming procedure" before fully energizing it the first time, otherwise you can damage the capacitors. DC bus capacitors need to be energized about once per year to keep from de-forming, a slow chemical change in which the oxide layers that form on the surface of the capacitor film dissolve (de-form) back into the electrolyte around them. Without that oxide layer, the film layers are just conductors so simply applying full power to them can cause holes to burn into the film layers and eventually lead to full failure. Prior to that full failure, one of the symptoms of it being on its way to the junk heap is that the DC bus ripple increases.

^lots of good info however the op indicated this was occurring on multiple drives and fans so I doubt it's a failing cap. I still think the drives are going into current limit.

loads of conditions can force a fan into current overload - and you want a drive at least 25% bigger than the motor (and ideally bigger than that). Aerofoil blowers will overloaded if dead headed - backward sloping CF blowers will not

^lots of good info however the op indicated this was occurring on multiple drives and fans so I doubt it's a failing cap. I still think the drives are going into current limit.

The way a drive "goes into current limit" is to reduce the output frequency. The OP is saying that the output frequency is 50Hz, which is full speed for him. So the drive is not purposely scaling back to limit the current. What he DID observe however is that the output voltage (as he observed it, which is still in question) was artificially low given that the frequency was at maximum. He has the V/Hz pattern programmed correctly, so the only way that can happen is if the drive "thinks" it is putting out full voltage, but is not. The only way I can think of in which this could happen is if there is excessive DC bus ripple from a failing component or a phase loss. So if it is happening on multiple (2) drives, he is either incredibly unlucky, or there is something happening on the incoming service. Given the fact that those are old drives, it could be either. If he made the mistake of not re-forming one of them, he likely did the same on two of them.

Given that the OP is apparently no longer interested, it's also possible that this was a troll post, especially with a name like "kArTmAN" (as in Cartman of the South Park cartoon fame, a well known prankster character).

^Not sure he ever said the output frequency was at 50 hz...we asked over and over for him to verify...he was reporting setpoint frequency. I don't think he knew the drive well enough to know. If the drive was indeed at 50hz speed then we wouldn't be having this conversation because he would be obtaining the expected pressure.

Last edited:
If the VFD is used in Fan Mode, then it tends to reduce the output voltage at the rated frequency. You should disable energy saving mode to achieve your desired vacuum. To achieve energy saving, you could set a longer acceleration time