Replacing/upgrading PC's

Tark said:
Why not turn the existing computer into an I/O Server, just add an ethernet card to it and network it with the new computers. Run the I/O Server on the existing computer and have the InTouch applications point to this computer. No need to buy new hardware.

By the way, InTouch 7.11 will run on WinXP Pro. You said your application is 7.1, but you can (convert) it to 7.11 and use the existing license.

Between space limitations and the fact that the city will not allow WindowsXP on their network, the only solution currently available is to totally replace the runtime and development machines with the newer models.
The Wonderware support team said that there was a possibility that the software package could have shipped with both 7.1 and 7.11, however, the site has opted to purchase the latest version of Wonderware. I even suggested that they use the 7.11 on WindowsNT, since they have fairly decent computers with NT installed and the ISA slot available for the Sysmac Link board. Their IT department personnel have stated that they wish to move forward, not backward when it comes to Operating systems and hardware. (can't say that I blame them)

I certainly appreciate all the expert advice that I have received from this site.

No. They don't want XP on the network. They have only evaluated/validated WindowsNT and Windows 2000 on their networks. The 9x boxes don't connect to the LAN/WAN anyway.

I've got to ask this:

1) Why in the world not upgrade to XP? I can think of only one reason not, (that wouldnt apply to your project), and a zillion reasons (all having to do with stability) to do so. Since we've upgraded our old tired 500mhz PC with XP we havent see the blue screen of death YET. I would think that system stability would be a serious issue in a jail.

2) How complicated is the function of opening & closing doors? Rather then jumping through a lot of hoops with obsolete, (or soon to be), why not upgrade the PLC? For example you could network a bunch of AD DL-06s togeather for about 250 each. Time is money, equipment is cheap.

elevmike said:
Why in the world not upgrade to XP?

I was wondering the same thing. Why buy the latest version from Wonderware to move foward, but not use the latest version from Microsoft. But then I'm not in charge of their network, and I have no idea what they have on it or what they are doing with it.

elevmike said:
I've got to ask this:

1) Why in the world not upgrade to XP? I can think of only one reason not, (that wouldnt apply to your project), and a zillion reasons (all having to do with stability) to do so. Since we've upgraded our old tired 500mhz PC with XP we havent see the blue screen of death YET. I would think that system stability would be a serious issue in a jail.

2) How complicated is the function of opening & closing doors? Rather then jumping through a lot of hoops with obsolete, (or soon to be), why not upgrade the PLC? For example you could network a bunch of AD DL-06s togeather for about 250 each. Time is money, equipment is cheap.

I like the way you think! I am all for getting the best results with the least amount of expenditure (must be from 20 years in the Navy doing so much with so little!)
With the infrastructure that is already in place, I would have to say that they are a bit reluctant to spend more money than is absolutely necessary to allow for proper, safe operations.

The opening and closing of the doors is done by a pneumatic system controlled by the plc's. They must be sure that only one door at a time (man trap) is opened and that nothing or no one is caught in the closing of the doors. Furthermore, the main control room can't open all the doors anyway. Some are left to individual pod controls for added security. (If you take over the pod, you only get into the man trap. If you take over main control, you still only get as far as the man trap.)
Geez, who would have thought that opening and closing doors could cost so much!

Tark said:
I was wondering the same thing. Why buy the latest version from Wonderware to move foward, but not use the latest version from Microsoft. But then I'm not in charge of their network, and I have no idea what they have on it or what they are doing with it.

They have the XP workstations on hand and ready to go, but I think that the fact that was discovered earlier regarding the Sysmac Link protocol and required NIC may be a deciding factor.

Sorta like the early days in computing when everyone had their own ideas about communications. Too bad we can't come up with a single comms standard like the OSI model did for TCP/IP.

OK, now I am thinking in IT terms again.

Does anyone know if the Sysmac Link boards support Windows XP?
(probably not known until I determine the model number)

Still I will have to see that their newer workstations with NT installed on them are on the HCL for XP.

Both Syslink Boards (ISA and PCI) are supported by XP and SP2 by a product called FINS Gateway 3.20 or FINS Gateway 2003. The product should come when you buy the PCI board or if you stick with the ISA board, it can be found on several websites. Wonderware has supported the FINS Gateway product since Intouch version 4.0.