Reset and prset Bits

thompson7716

I just recently installed a1771 HSCM in a plc 530 and for the life of me I cannot get the reset fuction to work. all the Numbers in the encoder card seem to be hard coded and cannot be changed by toggleing the reset bit. Also I cannot load the preset vaulues by toggling that bii either. The block transfer reaed and write box instructions see to be working perrectly but I cannot overwrite the hardcoded numbere that reside in th encoder. The book seeems very straight foreward but it does not work. When I toggle these bits it just checks the 2 boxrs in the setup screen. Could someone please tell me what I am doing wrong. All I want is a soft reset and a soft preset load when the corresponding bits are checked

Thank You so Much for your Help
Tommy Thompson

Hmmm. is is possible you typo'd the catalog number?
1771-VHSC is a valid part number...
I haven't dealt with that module in over ten years, so I doubt I can help, unless you could post your code.

Response

You are right the part number is a 1771-VHSC As far as the code I am using 2 rungs of ladder one for the BTR and the other for th BTW and then setting the corresponging bit to reset the counter and then load a preset. It is ver simpel bur the bits do not do what they are suppose to do. I also realize that the plc5 are aincent and the Control Logics are now the thing of the present. Thanks for your reply

Tommy

I would get a copy of the user manual for the 1771-VHSC. You can find it here:

http://literature.rockwellautomation.com/intradoc-cgi/nph-idc_cgi.exe?IdcService=GET_SEARCH_RESULTS&QueryText=%28dWebExtension+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27pdf%27+%3Cand%3E+%28%3Cnot%3E+xViewableFile+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27No%27+%3Cor%3E+xViewableFile+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27%27%29+%3Cand%3E+%3Cnot%3E+xReleaseToFlag+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27Restricted%27+%3Cand%3E+dSecurityGroup+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27Literature%27+%3Cand%3E+%3Cnot%3E+xBrand+%3CMATCHES%3E+%27Other%27%29+%3CAND%3E+xCatalog_Numbers+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%601771-VHSC%60+%3CAND%3E+%28xLanguage+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%60EN+-+English%60+%3COR%3E+xLanguage+%3CSUBSTRING%3E+%60MU+-+Multi+Lingual%60%29&DefaultQuery=&urlTemplate=%2Fidc%2Fgroups%2Fpublic%2Fdocuments%2Fwebassets%2Fsearch_results.hcst&ftx=&SortField=dDocTitle&SortOrder=Asc&SortSpec=&passedLangVal=EN+-+English&prepopVal=1771-VHSC&passedType=xCatalog_Numbers&passedParameter=1771-VHSC

These RESET functions from the User Manual seem to be relevant. Notice that you must do a BTW to reset the count.
Software Reset

The counters can also be reset by the Reset Count bits found in Word
1, bits 0-3 of the block transfer write. When one of these bits is set
to 1, the associated counter is reset to zero and begins counting. The
module can also be reset with the gate/reset as explained below.
Refer to chapter 4 for further details.

Gate/Reset Input

There is one gate/reset input for each of the 4 counters. The
gate/reset input, when active, will function in one of the 4 store count

modes outlined below.

Last edited: