Rexroth MLC Communications

MikB

I am hoping to use a Red Lion Datasation Plus to carry out datalogging of variables in a Rexroth CML65 motion controller and make the log files available over VPN via FTP. The MLC has Ethernet IP/UDP protocol available. There are no specific Rexroth ethernet drivers available on Red Lion, although it does have Ethernet IP/UDP drivers. Has anyone managed to get DSP to communicate to a Rexroth MLC.
OR is there another option other than Red Lion Data Station Plus that can create log files from data in the MLC.

It is possible to use the modbus driver of the red lion to talk to the MLC. You will need to add an instance of the function block IL_ModbusTCPServerType02. You can find a description in the help.

Also you can use the sysfile library and create a datafile on the CF card of the MLC in any format you want. The files on the CF card of the MLC can be accessed via FTP.

Thanks for the Info. Unfortunately we are using MLC04 and apparently the Modbus library isn't available on this version, it's only available on MLC10 or MLC11.

I was hoping to avoid doing the File Writing etc. on the MLC as it would mean generating timestamps, creating new dated files and deleting old files. Things which the red Lion would be able to do automatically.

I noticed there's a library RIL_EthernetIP, which has relatively simple READ / WRITE control blocks. I've used Red Lion to communicate to Contrologix in the past. Do you think this would be an option for Red Lion to Rexroth.

Thanks.
I'll see if we can get hold of the library.
Do you know if the MLC will allow us to communicate over several different protocols via the ethernet port, as the MLC is currently servicing up to 9 Rexroth VCP HMIs and we want to add the Red Lion, and also have the facility for an engineering PC running Indraworks when required.