Rookie Programmer needs help

esmurillo

I am programming something that should be rather simple. But I have not programmed before and could use some help and guidance.

I am using RSLogix 5000. I am installing a horn to go off on the hour and half hour. So basically I think I need to use the GSV wallclock time feature but do not know how to go by this. I created controller tag that is a DINT[7] but how do I program the rest?

Thanks for your time...

See here:

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=76740

other resource to use on your own:

- Use the search feature on this site, "GSV" would return the above link.

- Use the instruction help under Help > Instruction Help in RSLoigx5k

- I would scan from cover to cover the following from RA, you can google them:

1. GSV in detail, Controller informaton and status, 1756-pm015
2. Logix 5k general instructions, 1756-rm003
3. Logix 5k common procedures, 1756-pm001, a list of link to other documents.

May I suggest the following.

1. write down what you want to accomplish in basic terms.
Then expand on what you want by adding devices ( don't worry about the I/o at this point).
Keep expanding on your sequence until you can determine where everything is.

2. get your plc I/o placed into the slots where you want them to go.

3. add your I/o to your sequence of events in step 1.

These steps will make programming much easier.
Remember:
Everyone has their own programming styles and methods.

Just because you can program something in 4 lines of code rather than the typical 10 lines of code, doesn't mean that everyone can understand it.

Work with maintenance and lean what their capabilities are and what they are used to. Let them be involved with your project and let them be part of the team. LIFE WILL BE MUCH EASIER!! If you program a machine that only you can debug, guess who gets calls at all hours of the day and NIGHT! - you will !!

Can you look at the plc clock minutes and do a comparison looking for the
minutes register to equal 30 and 00?

regards,
james

If you have your PLCs synced to an NTP source, you could have a timer running that ends every 30 minutes and have the horn fire on a counter triggered by the timer finishing.

Lot's of ways, that is one of them.