Rotary motion detector

drforsythe

Lifetime Supporting Member
This is not a PLC question, but maybe one of you have seen a product like I am looking for.

I have a portable pneumatic misting system that is used to apply a mist to an extruded product. The mister currently does not have any controls and it can be used on several machines of varying technology. I have been asked to add controls to enable the mist if the machine is running and disable it if the machine is not running. I could add controls to all of the possible machines the mister is run on and design a connector interface that allows it to be run universally from any machine. This would involve several hardware modifications and some programming for the smarter machines. I would like to keep this as simple as possible and would like to avoid connecting the mister to the machine it is serving. I am looking for a device that could be connected to a wheel that would roll when the extrusion conveyor is running and turn on an output if it is rolling and turn it off it it is not rolling. If I can find such a device, I would be able to simply supply power to the sensor and use the output to control the air supply. If I am unable to find such a device, I will roll my own, but I thought it would be worthwhile to ask the diverse talent that monitor this site. Has anyone seen anything like this?
Thanks for reading this!

Several options come to mind. #1 a proximity switch set to read some bump or something on the face of the wheel. Set some programming so if it sees X revolutions in Y time, means the wheel is turning. #2 a rotary encoder. This is more frequently used to obtain the position of the wheel, or the distance it's travelled, but you could use it to detect rotation.

#1 is probably cheaper and easier.

depending on your setup, easiest and quickist would be a ct switch that could be applied to whatever motor is running your extruder. Many other options come to mind as well.

If the product is heated to extrude (plastic, silicone, etc) then a non-contact IR thermocouple could be aimed at the exit area and if the product is warm, over a setpoint, run the mist. Even if not heated you might be able to detect the temperature rise created from the extruding process itself.

This could be a PLC thermocouple input, or just a temperature controller giving a COOL signal to turn the mist on.

You just need a rotary RPM sensor....Lots of people make them. Here's a company specifically suited to what you're talking about:

https://superior-ind.com/products/conveying-parts/accessories/belt-speed-sensor/

I've also used Whirligigs....They're magnetic and just mount to the end of a pulley shaft.

https://www.go4b.com/Usa/products/speed-switches/whirligig.asp

+1 for the Whirligigs. Good product. Good service. You can also get one with a continuously on output when motion is detected if you don't want a pulsed output.

Thanks for the replies. The products that OkiePC and robertmee suggested are what I am looking for. Again, I have a standalone mister that may run on one of many different machines. The mister currently has no power or controls. I believe I could make either of these devices work without having to change the other machines the mister may be used on. Thanks again.