RS Logix 5000 & RSview32 help

Cherokee 96

Valve open and valve close cmd inputs are being activated by HMI(RSview). The way I found out is by toggling the bit on the HMI.Is there a better way to find out ?

Thanks

Capture.jpg

There's no "find HMI" function in RSLogix if that's what you are asking. You can do a cross reference of a bit and if there is no destructive instance, more times than not it's coming from an external source like an HMI (or an internal engineering test toggle bit). You can also export your HMI tag database and find all the tags that would be used in the PLC. For this reason, I always comment HMI tags in a PLC with "HMI" in the description.

There's no "find HMI" function in RSLogix if that's what you are asking. You can do a cross reference of a bit and if there is no destructive instance, more times than not it's coming from an external source like an HMI (or an internal engineering test toggle bit). You can also export your HMI tag database and find all the tags that would be used in the PLC. For this reason, I always comment HMI tags in a PLC with "HMI" in the description.

This is a very common practice, and has origins from many programming languages where variable names are prefixed with the data-type, v-Basic for example "int_LoopCount".

Doing a similar thing in the PLC tags is a great idea, but using the prefix to show the "function" or "group" the tag belongs to.... e.g. HMI_AlarmReset.

One great benefit is, when viewing the tags in the tag monitor, you can apply a view filter, such as "hmi_", and only tags that contain those 4 characters, in that order are displayed. Perfect if the whole application has been tagged accordingly.

One downside is that the practice cannot be enforced in any way, they are just tag-names after all. A subsequent add-on to a well-written system could easily fall outside the practice, back to square one for those tags.....

This is a very common practice, and has origins from many programming languages where variable names are prefixed with the data-type, v-Basic for example "int_LoopCount".

Doing a similar thing in the PLC tags is a great idea, but using the prefix to show the "function" or "group" the tag belongs to.... e.g. HMI_AlarmReset.

One great benefit is, when viewing the tags in the tag monitor, you can apply a view filter, such as "hmi_", and only tags that contain those 4 characters, in that order are displayed. Perfect if the whole application has been tagged accordingly.

One downside is that the practice cannot be enforced in any way, they are just tag-names after all. A subsequent add-on to a well-written system could easily fall outside the practice, back to square one for those tags.....

Very good points...I typically create an HMI_Words[x] array, and segregate functions to each word. For example HMI_Words[0] will be 32 bits associated with Pump A. HMI_Words[1], Pump B. HMI_Words[20] Recipes, and so on. With the liberal use of arrays and UDT's, my tag database on first glance is usually less than 100 tags...makes for finding tags easy, as it's a drill down exercise, much like windows explorer. I compare programmers that create individual tags with putting every file on a PC in the C:\ directory.

And I pull my hair out on your last point, all the time. I hate going back to one of my programs years later, and some technician has added an HMI tag that's completely out of the organization left. If I have time, I usually change it back, I'm that anal.

Exporting the tags makes sense. Even print screen is good enough for me.
I tried Alt+Cntrl+P which opened up the project manager, but could not find the Tag Database icon. Help please:wish:

Exported the tags to CSV. Thanks for the help guys.