RS232 to RS485(2 wire) converter

plcnovel

Hi Guys
Is there a way i can convert RS232 signals into 2-wire RS485 signals without using any Hardware, just for testing purposes. I am planning on getting some converters later on.

Thanks

Because RS232 uses +12V and -12V signals and RS485 only uses 0V and +5V signals, it'll be next to impossible to do a conversion without any hardware. I have had some RS232 cards in the PC which responded well to 0V and +5V signals, but I've never had any that sent 0V and +5V signals out.

Kind regards,

Many laptops cheat and only send out 5 volts.
There's some old threads about cheating GE PLC's. This method might work. It's been posted several times, so you shouldn't have trouble finding it with a search.

Last edited:
Rs 485 Use +12v/-7v Signal And A Difrent Method To Proces The Signal.
It Is Impusible To Do That With No Hardware Device.

I've seen the RS232 cheat sometimes work for going to RS422 but not for RS485 2-wire where the Transmit and Recieve are combined onto one set of wires. I'd say get a convertor now, they aren't terribly expensive.

Oops, I missed that. The 'cheat' won't work. Thanks for the correction, Bernie.
RS232 uses levels above and below ground. RS485 doesn't have a ground reference. It references to the other wire. It sends it's ones and zero's by swapping polarity.
I think both RS422 and RS485 use this method, and the difference is 4 wire vs 2 wire.

Last edited: