RSLinx and Cellular Modem

TheWaterboy

Lifetime Supporting Member + Moderator
I have started a cellular modem network to supplement/replace our Serial radios. First time working on these in real life.

I have the cellular Radios working to the point where I can ping and get to the remote PLC's webpage with no problem, but I cant get RSLinx to connect to it.

NAT is involved so the end PLC is always the same IP 10.10.x.250. The modem IP's are unique 172.68.x.x and is what I point RSLinx or my browser to. The Modem NATs traffic from there to the PLC.

Will RSLinx have a problem with this? It sure seems to, throwing Error 701-8004250B

Deleted the Harmony files already, that's just normal anymore. and I have tried to reset the path in the project but the set and clear path buttons don't enable.

which method are you using to browse?

AB-ETHIP (Ethernet/IP)
AB-ETH (Ethernet)

AB-ETHIP allows you to set your network card it uses, if you need to use a specific card set it there. WIndows itself is generally intelligent enough to take the right path to reach what it needs to for ping, browers, etc due to masking rules. RSLinx its a little less flexible but this is also beneficial as you can target what you want for greater efficiency.

Using AB-ETH - Note that the only time its revealing a problem is connecting with Logix. Using RSWho within Logix brings the Red X. Browsing, pinging is fine, albeit with a 500ms ping time. Withing RSLinx I can use Datamonitor and get tags fine too.

I find that increasing the CIP timeout to 8 seconds allows a connection - REALLY slow though. Would have expected more. Will speak to cell provider about that.