RSLinx Classic OPC using "Device w/EDS"

SPAZ

Question –
I am running the RSLinx Classic Gateway OPC server (4.00.01 CPR 9 SR 10.0) on my laptop, with a directly connected Ethernet/IP adapter device. So, there is no PLC in the test set up, just an Ethernet/IP cable connected from our EIP adapter device to the laptop. We do have an EDS file that we just created.

1-First, I install our new EDS using EDS Hardware installation tool. No problems, all green. Our EDS includes Param data for Tags, and has been already checked with EZ-EDS.

2-Now that EDS is installed, I then set up the RSLinx Ethernet/IP driver with no problems, and the new node shows up in RSwho at the proper IP that I set earlier. All good. However, I notice that if I click on “Copy DDE/OPC Link”, the tree that shows up in the pop up panel does not show any of the referenced EDS Param values as Tags. Closing that and even highlighting node here by right clicking to show Device Properties of that node does list the correct EDS file from the complied Rockwell library. Even so, I move on.

3-Next, I set up a “topic” with the Data Collection tab set to “Device w/EDS Parameters.” Save all that to topic name.

4-I then launch the Rockwell OPC Test Client (2.3.40.0,) and add connection to the RSLinx OPC server. I add a Group “Test.” Next, I add one Item, but again, the tree in this menu on “offline” does not show any of the Param values from my EDS. So, in “Item Name” I enter a direct assembly settings of 4:101:3,arr16 (CIP class 4, Instance 101, attribute 3) and set “access Path” to the prior topic name. This all verifies good, I add it, and the proper CIP assembly data shows up in the OPC screen. All is good, my adapter device is talking directly to the OPC sever and moving the correct data.

5-Just to be sure everything is clean, I run Wireshark off the same PC on that EIP interface and look at traffic. All good. I even see good query/responses for broadcasted Identity requests to the node.

So, here is the problem/question. This all works fine with the forced assembly object I entered step 4, but I really want the Param data in the EDS file to show up under “offline” in the tree when an item is added to the OPC sever – but it does not. I really want to work with the Tags that are picked up from the Param settings in my EDS. It seems like the server is not using the EDS at all. I have tried to manually plug in various Tag formatted values into "Item Name" manually from the EDS, but nothing works. What am I missing? The Rockwell documentation seems to indicate that EDS info should show up here (if Params are used) in the offline tree.

This was outside the scope of my local Rockwell distributors knowledge base, and I am trying to sort this out now with a local automation group that specializes in Ethernet/IP. Maybe that RSLinx EDS Tag loading feature only works for actual processors, and it won’t work for the OPC server running “Device with EDS?” Or, is the use of our new EDS file somehow restricted?

Has anyone tried this just on the RSLogix OPC server tools, and not the full blown RSLogix 5000 tools?

Thanks for any help you can provide.