RSlinx, OpenVPN

*bj

Hi everybody.

I have a problem discovering my devices using RSlinx.
My setup is:
- MicroLogix 1400 (192.168.132.2) connected via ethernet to GPRS gateway (192.168.132.1).
- Another MicroLogix 1400 (192.168.131.2) connected via ethernet to another GPRS gateway (192.168.131.1).
- PC with installed OpenVPN connected to server, which provids static IP adresses for GPRS gateways.

I made a simple program to communicate between PLCs using MSG instruction and is working fine. Also, I have a laptop (192.168.132.11) connected in 192.168.132.x subnetwork, with installed RSlinx. From my laptop I can se both PLCs in RSlinx, using "Ethernet devices" driver.

Problem is I would like to reach PLCs through RSlinx on my PC using OpenVPN. I can successfully ping both PLCs from my PC. I have found several threads here and tried using Ethernet/IP driver, or adding :EIP sufix on IP adresses in Ethernet devices driver, but no luck.

I kindly ask for some help regarding this matter.

Ports and Subnets matter too

Because you can browse both controllers using your locally-connected laptop with 192.168.132.11, then you must have the subnet masks or default gateways properly configured so that it can communicate with both the 192.168.132.x asd 192.168.131.x subnets.

I suspect you will have to configure the OpenVPN or the GPRS devices to pass TCP Port 44818, which is used by Allen-Bradley controllers.

Instead of using the ordinary ICMP Ping function from the computer's command line, try using the TCPing utility (from Eli Fulkerson), specifying Port 44818.

Once you can get a connection to Port 44818, use the Ethernet Devices driver with :EIP appended to the IP address.

The EtherNet/IP driver uses a broadcast packet for browsing, and will very likely not work with GPRS or with a VPN.

Ken, thank you for your answer.

I tried TCPing tool on port 44818 and had no answer. For now, I'm still searching where that port needs to be opened.

Well, following Kens advice and port 44818, problem was found in server.
Server firewall would not allow traffic through, but adding a tunnel from OpenVPN solved the problem.

tcping replies:

Probing 192.168.1.97:44818/tcp - Port is open - time=29.751ms

but should that be udp instead of tcp?

Welcome to the forum ! Ideally, create a new thread and reference very old ones only by linking. We're not as sophisticated a forum as Reddit or something similar that can archive or lock old posts.

When you're using the "EtherNet/IP" automatic browsing driver, it's very difficult to make it work with VPNs, routers, or gateways. It uses a TCP Broadcast.

When using the "Ethernet Devices" driver or something else that manually specifies the target IP address, the port is definitely TCP Port 44818.

Sorta-related: this week I managed to fault a customer PLC with a Duplicate IP Address conflict by inadvertently connecting to my home network using ZeroTier from across the country. Pretty impressed with myself actually.

Sorta-related: this week I managed to fault a customer PLC with a Duplicate IP Address conflict by inadvertently connecting to my home network using ZeroTier from across the country. Pretty impressed with myself actually.[/QUOTE said:
We have had this previously with consumer devices and small operations alike running on 192.168.x.x. After that, employees supporting equipment remotely changed their home devices to be on relatively uncommon subnets.