RSLinx Windows 8 AB1761-CBL PM02 Driver Issues PLEASE HELP!!!

BobbyB343

Hi everyone! I am new to the site, I found it while trying to find help getting my driver set up. I am a Mechatronics student, and we are now working with Allen Bradley, moved up from Koyos. I am having an issue getting my driver to install. I have gone out to Rockwell for the driver and downloaded the 9300 USBS driver files. But for some reason I can not get it to work. I have attached a screenshot of the error that I am getting and what is shown in my device manager, does not make sense to me! Forgot to mention I am using Windows 8...if I can't get this to work, I'm going to partition my hd and install 7! Wish we could still us XP! Thank you in advance for your help! Again, I am new to the site and mostly PLCs and may be overlooking some vital information for use in helping me, so if more info is need, just ask.

Cheers,
Bobby

You might try a different USB to serial converter first. I like the Keyspan USA-19HS (Tripplite) and it has worked with all but one device I have needed it for among many dozens. Most any off the shelf cheap unit should work with DF1-RS232 but you might not be able to use autoconfigure when setting up a connection.

Windows 8 is awful. My boss has it on a couple of his laptops and I really strongly dislike it. Windows 7 is just fine (especially the Pro version).

For reliability I'd be really tempted to make the shift back to Windows 7. Windows 8 is going to end up like another windows ME I reckon.. At least with 7 you can interrogate it a lot better when things go wrong (and they do!) compared to the dreaded 8..!

37921377.jpg

Bobby,

Is the device a genuine A-B 9300-USBS ?

That device has a removable USB cable and is only a few inches long. [Link]

Because you mentioned a 1761-CBL-PM02, I think you might have something else.

The actual A-B part number 1761-CBL-PM02 is a gray serial cable about six feet long, with a DB9 connector on one end and a right-angle DIN8 round connector on the other. It has no active components at all and no USB function.

There are also some third party devices on the market that are USB to RS-232 converters marketed for use with A-B controllers like the MicroLogix.

At least one of those vendors also uses the A-B part number (or just sticks USB- on the front) and advertises the device as an "exact replacement", despite the fact that its connectors and functions are different. It's a good substitute, but is neither a "replacement" nor "exact".

That device is going to look like [this] or like [this].

If you have one of those third-party devices, download and try their drivers instead.

Otherwise, this might be one of those Windows 8 things that just doesn't work.

One thing you might consider doing is install a VMWare player and install Windows XP or 7 onto it. Not only will you have better luck with the software working with the OS and you’ll find a lot more people who have had experience with problems you might find but you’ll also get experience with VMWare (if you don’t already) which is a good thing to know how to use in today’s industrial automation world. VMWare is actually pretty easy to use but it does have its “good to knows”.
Outside of that, I think you do need to confirm what exactly you have. I was also thrown off with your title mentioning a PM02 cable but your questions talks about a USB to serial adaptor. They are two completely things.