Rslogix 500 Data Tables Explanation

Ones_Zeros

Hello
I was wondering if someone could give me a good explanation on Data Tables?
Im working in a SLC 500 program and haven't really used it much
all im wanting to do is add some input I/O (Pressure tansmitters) so i can read it back into my HMI software

These transmitters are supposed to be connected to Card 11 - Inputs 1 &2
as you can see by the screen shot bits 1 & 2 are already used on card 11
The entire word is being used (I:11.0 - bits 0-15)

So the way i read it is I:11.1 (I11/16) is the first available input on card 11
would this be input #16

is this right, I think the wiring may be on the wrong input in the PLC

Thanks for the help

Data_Table_Usage.jpg

Data_Table.jpg

When a analog card is used in the slot in question the raw data from that card is put in
the registers e.g I:11.1. I:11.1 is a 16 bit word holding the range of raw data from the analog card. The values will depend on how you have configured the card.

Change the "Radix" ( lower right) to decimal and you will then see the raw data value.

See pdf for raw data value

Last edited:
To begin with, I think you forgot to post your screenshot that you referenced, but I think we can probably get you there without.

That input data table (Table I1) is set up to show an entire 16-bit word on each row. By default, this table shows each word in binary format, so you'll see across the top the binary bit positions in descending order (15 to 0). This can be changed by selecting different options in the "Radix" drop down. Note that this does NOT change any of the values in the data table or how they work, only how they are displayed to you.

Binary input cards will only have one word associated with them. Addresses for binary inputs have to be addressed all the way to the bit level - so if you have a binary input card with 16 inputs in slot 10 the formal address for those inputs will look like I:10.0/0 through I:10.0/15. Shorthand will allow you to drop the ".0" in the middle and simply address these as I:10/0 through I:10/15.

Analog input cards require a full word for each input so they will represent slightly differently. When you reference these inputs in your program, you'll be referencing the entire word. For the sake of argument let's say you have an analog input with 4 inputs in your slot 11. Your inputs will be addressed I:11.0 through I:11.3

Edit - Mickey's too fast

Thanks for the explanation..
Question..Is the a time when you bring a device into a PLC Analog input & not use the entire word? Say a flow meter or pressure transmitter?

Also say if its a digital input, you wouldn't have to use the entire word...correct?
you could use just the bit level ( Example - I:2/9 )

Thanks again guys for your help and patience with me

Question..Is the a time when you bring a device into a PLC Analog input & not use the entire word? Say a flow meter or pressure transmitter?

No, analog inputs use the whole word.

Also say if its a digital input, you wouldn't have to use the entire word...correct?
you could use just the bit level ( Example - I:2/9 )

Correct. Each bit represents an input to the card. Some cards have 16 point some have 8 etc.

Last edited: