RSLogix 5000 MOV instruction

debeuu2

Lifetime Supporting Member
Hello All,
New kid on block with AB 5000 platform.
Using the MOV ( move ) command. I can't get the logic to shift the value of source to destination tag. All devices are True up to the FB but no action.

Please help,

Is it in a subroutine which is not being called?

Parallel the MOV command with the OTL (latch) of a bit. See if the bit turns on.

If that doesn't help provide a screen capture of the rung clearly showing the MOV command with the value it is attempting to move.

A couple things.

First, is that subroutine actually being scanned? There needs to be a JSR (Jump to Subroutine) that references that ladder if it isn't the Main ladder.

If it is the main ladder, is it set to be the main ladder? The icon in the tree will be different than the other ladders in that program. Non-main ladders have a box around their icons while the main ladder doesn't. If you need to set it up. Right click on the program in the tree (the level above the ladder files) and click "properties". One of the tabs in the dialog box will have two drop-down menus allowing you to designate a Main routine and a fault routine. These are not always populated by default and have to be done so manually.

Second, are there any other destructive instructions writing to that same tag? When you right click on the tag and click "Cross Reference," the window will pop up showing all the instances of that tag in the program. There is a column called "Destructive" and each instance will either say yes or no. If there is more than one entry that says "Yes," this is the likely culprit.

Thanks to all. The routine was not setup in the Main Routine dialog box. It is now.
All is working perfect.
Many, Many Thanks.

Hi Bernie,

Please could you help me out, I am a beginner!!

I tried to move a just string with no tag (alphabets written close to each other ) from a source to a destination tag but it wouldn't let me. Do you know what I can do?

Yes it isn't very obvious that you must use the COP. But notice this info in the Help for the MOV that STRING is not a supported data type. When we look in the Help for the COP it does show support.

OG

MOV and COP.jpg

I think that in newer firmware/hardware versions, the MOV instruction gained string support, FWIW

I think it's just the 5069 / L8x platforms that gained this feature from what I can tell. Even new firmware on the 1769 / L7x series hardware didn't work for me when I tried.

I think it's just the 5069 / L8x platforms that gained this feature from what I can tell. Even new firmware on the 1769 / L7x series hardware didn't work for me when I tried.

This is true. I wish they added this to newer firmware for 5370/5570, that would make it more compelling for us to use it.