RSLogix & Studio 5000 Installation Concerns

DamianInRochester

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am in the process of Migrating my Rockwell software over to a new Win7 64bit VM. In the past, I have always just went ahead and installed all previous versions of RSLogix so that I have them if needed, but now they no longer package them in the Studio5000 install.

Is it as simple as installing first RSLogix 20, with all previous version say down to V12, and then installing Studio V23 over top of that? Will these conflict somehow, or am I going to have to maintain separate VMs from now on?

Personally I've always installed the "latest" first on Windows 7 machines. Then worked my way back. But I now only go back to v18. I am in a position where I hardly ever have to worry about anything older. If/when I do I'll install it when I need it.

The Plc Kid said:
I have a VM for 12-20 and another VM for Studio 5000 V21 it helps me maintain my sanity.

Very wise!

Damien,

Don't forget the elephant in the room! The newer EDS Database Subsystem. I keep having to harp on about it here, but people do easily forget it...

499727 - Software Compatibility requirements with the new Version 21 EDS subsystem
Access Level: Everyone

There are all sorts of gotchas with different older versions of software needing older RSLinx, but newer needing latest, all while under the same OS...RSNetworx incompatibilities, RSLogix 5000 RSWho not browsing correctly, yellow question marks for everyone in the audience, and on and on...

So as ThePlcKid advises, keep pre v21 old EDS stuff in one cage and post v21 in another. There are other, possibly less critical reasons to further segregate your versions, but at the very least I would recommend doing the above.

Regards,
George

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have thus far not installed anything v21 and up so I was somewhat unaware of the issues. I was especially unaware of the new EDS database.

Only issue now is regarding V20. I see some saying to install 20.01 and not 20.03 and vise-versa.

Thanks for all the suggestions. I have thus far not installed anything v21 and up so I was somewhat unaware of the issues. I was especially unaware of the new EDS database.

Only issue now is regarding V20. I see some saying to install 20.01 and not 20.03 and vise-versa.

DON'T install v20.03 unless you understand the differences between 20.01 and 20.03!!!