RSNetworkx for ControlNet

ToolKit

I have been tasked with verifying that a new ControlNet network is functional using RSNetworx. This is new territory for me, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have not had the time to thoroughly read the getting started guide yet. I intend to study this in more detail very soon.

This application uses redundant CLX racks with SRM modules.

The I/O has been configured and a program loaded in at least one of the racks with the L63 processor.

The network includes drives (CNET scanport modules) and two RIO racks. For RSNetworx to "see" all nodes every scanport needs to be energized, correct?

Is it true that I should be able to access the network through an available ENBT card in the rack or do I need to use a serial port?

I have been told that RSNetworx will find all nodes provided that the ControlNet cables are complete. I have my doubt about it being that simple.

My apologies for the simple questions. I am looking for practical advise instead of the "I don't know what to tell you" that I get from some of my co-workers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all in advance.

ToolKit said:
I have been tasked with verifying that a new ControlNet network is functional using RSNetworx. This is new territory for me, any suggestions or advice would be greatly appreciated. I have not had the time to thoroughly read the getting started guide yet. I intend to study this in more detail very soon.

This application uses redundant CLX racks with SRM modules.

The I/O has been configured and a program loaded in at least one of the racks with the L63 processor.

The network includes drives (CNET scanport modules) and two RIO racks. For RSNetworx to "see" all nodes every scanport needs to be energized, correct?

not sure on this.

Is it true that I should be able to access the network through an available ENBT card in the rack or do I need to use a serial port?

yes, you can browse into the controlnet network using ethernet, but of course you will need to use the rsnetworx for controlnet to browse and upload from the controlnet network.

I have been told that RSNetworx will find all nodes provided that the ControlNet cables are complete. I have my doubt about it being that simple.

yes, you can upload the configuration from the network and it will show all nodes

My apologies for the simple questions. I am looking for practical advise instead of the "I don't know what to tell you" that I get from some of my co-workers.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated, thanks to all in advance.

Ill answer to the best of my ability

A Redundant ControlLogix system isn't the easiest commission as your very first one, but it's really pretty straightforward.

Make sure you get the "ControlNet Modules in RSLogix 5000 Control Systems" manual, CNET-UM001 from the RA literature website. Also get the Redundancy manual and the Release Notes for the version of redundancy firmware you have installed.

Because the program with I/O configuration has been loaded into the controller, RSNetworx will correlate the requested connections from the ControlLogix with the actual devices it browses on the network. That's good.

1203-CN1 ControlNet/SCANPort modules can be "seen" on the network when they are powered up by the 24VDC terminals, but they have to be connected to a powered drive before their identity information is complete and they show up identified with the connected drive. You can schedule the network once without them if they are not present, then go back and add them to the schedule later.

You have two remote chassis connected via ControlNet; that's good. Be sure they are set to lower node numbers (I'd say 1 and 2) than the 1756-CNB(R) pair in the redundancy chassis. This is a requirement of Logix/CNet redundancy that is explained in the User Manual. Be sure also that the two 1756-CNB(R) modules in the redundant chassis are set to the *same* ControlNet node number; the -SRM modules handle setting these to N and N+1 (in my systems, usually 3 and 4) based on which is the Primary chassis.

Yes, you can schedule the ControlNet by browsing through the EtherNet/IP network. This is how 80% of redundant systems are commissioned.

RSNetworx will *browse* all the nodes when they are connected to the network and configured with unique node numbers. What you need to do is define the Network Parameters (Max Unscheduled, Max Scheduled, Network Update Time, Media Selection) and perform a Scheduling action in RSNetworx.

Beginner's Tip: To Schedule a network, check the "Enable Edits" box, perform a full on-link and off-link browse, then Save the network configuration.