RSNetworx and 1769-SDN DeviceNet module

The "Scanlist" configuration method of DeviceNet is very old-fashioned and comes from the heritage of how DeviceNet was grafted onto the PLC-5 and SLC-500 as an expansion module with a large PLC memory data table.

You don't see ordinary DeviceNet I/O modules in the RSLogix 5000 tree with DeviceNet like you do with ControlNet and EtherNet/IP. The exception is safety modules; the Safety connection works differently than ordinary DeviceNet general-purpose I/O connections.

Instead you configure the scanlist entries in the Scanner, then "map" the data into the PLC I/O data tables or Module I/O Tags.

There's a semi-automatic way to create device-specific data tables using the DeviceNet Tag Creation Tool. I don't recommend it for just this small network.

Instead look at the Scanlist and be sure the I/O connection is created and that its resulting Input and Output bytes are mapped into the Input and Output data tags of the CompactLogix.

Thanks Ken

I have the IO module in scan list, after some try and error I think i was able to configure the module, used MSG instruction to change parameters of the IO module:

12.jpg

Actually PLC can change the value of Heartbeat parameter of the IO module, but for some reason, it is not possible to change the Outputs Values parameter that I tried to use it to turn ON and OFF the outputs of the IO module, that parameter is locked and I wonder how I can unlock it!

11.png

The Output is part of the I/O connection and it will be commanded by the bytes mapped to the Output tag in the scanlist.

That's why it shows as Read Only in the Parameter Editor in RSNetworx.

I think the I/O map should be right. I set all 8 outputs to 1 in RSLogix5000 project but all outputs of the IO module are still OFF,please have a look at the all configuration I did:

11.jpg