RSView 32 - AppStart

Mike_RH

Lifetime Supporting Member
I am having a little problem with the AppStart command in RSview32. My application opens an Excel spreadsheet using the command Appstart Excel "Spreadsheet" The spreadsheet open s fine on the development computer - The spreadsheet opens in the foreground. However on the target system it opens in the background.

Target System = Windows XP Pro Sp2, RSView 6.4
Development System = Windows XP Pro SP2, RSView (I have tried 6.4 and 7.2 - works everytime).

Any hints from the crowd?

Your help and expertise is always appreciated.

Mike

I couldn't find an online reference to RSView 32 functions. AppStart might accept multiple parameters. View might also have a function to change focus.

You might also try creating a Windows shortcut that is set to "Run Maximized" and launch that instead.

Your last option is to figure out how to change focus with VBA, which may be a bit hairy. This web page gives example code.

Mike_RH said:
I am having a little problem with the AppStart command in RSview32. My application opens an Excel spreadsheet using the command Appstart Excel "Spreadsheet" The spreadsheet open s fine on the development computer - The spreadsheet opens in the foreground. However on the target system it opens in the background.

Target System = Windows XP Pro Sp2, RSView 6.4
Development System = Windows XP Pro SP2, RSView (I have tried 6.4 and 7.2 - works everytime).

Any hints from the crowd?

Your help and expertise is always appreciated.

Mike

There is a technote on this subject...a windows system variable change to fix it...

ab technote 9041

Solution:
There is a Windows 98/2000/XP Operating System setting, FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT, that the OS uses to determine how long (in milliseconds), after user input that another application can become a foreground application. By default this value is "200000" ms or 200 Seconds in W2K/XP, and 15000 ms in Win98. The Windows 2000/XP default behavior is to wait 200 seconds after the last user input, mouse or keyboard, before allowing any application that is started to become the foreground application. By setting this timeout to a value of zero (0), a launched application can immediately become the foreground application, which is the same behaviour that can be observed in Windows 95 and Windows NT4.0.

To set the
FOREGROUNDLOCKTIMEOUT setting to zero (0):
Extract the application W2KSETFGNDLOCKTIMEOUT.EXE from below.
Login as Administrator on the system.
Close all other applications.
Run the W2KSETFGNDLOCKTIMEOUT.EXE application.
Write down the existing value. This is the current setting, in case you decide to change it back.
Change the shown value to zero (0) and then click on the "Set Value" button.
Close the application with the X in the top left corner.
Reboot your computer.

This setting change only needs to be done once on the system.

EDIT: the solution above uses a utility to set the sytem variable which you can download from the knowledgebase at ab.com. I can remember manually changing it for my system many years ago...no luck finding those instructions however.

Last edited:
For those who do not want to download file: This setting for WinXP is located in system registry here: HKCU\Control Panel\Desktop
All you have to do is go to Start --> Run --> launch Regedit.exe --> Follow the path above and change the value of ForegroundLockTimeout to zero.