RSView32 questions.

imloggedin

i just started using rsview32, im used to intouch but this is just cumbersom in some ways. is their a way to use shortcut keys for doing anything? i mean i cant even get to the object animations without clicking my mouse too many times. also is their a better way to use the tag database? theres no import or export on it, you cant even move tags from folder to folder inside of it. this is very annoying.

thanks.

In my very little RSView32 experience, I've discovered Ctrl+R can be used similar to Ctrl+E in Intouch to replace tags within an object.

You can import/export CSV files for the database and Ctrl+D helps to duplicate a tag within the database.

thanks for the reply. ctrl+r is good to know. be nice to have something that could get me to the animation screen too. i have this horrid cbt called 'view trainer' that tells me everything about nothing. i see how you import/export now. know howto move tags to different folders?

thanks

I don't know how to get to the animations easier other than ungrouping them and maybe your animation object can then be reached with one right click.

I don't know how to move the folders. There must be a way to manipulate them is CSV form.

There are others on the forum with more knowledge. Just wait and someone will chime in.

Ctrl+g (group)
Ctrl+u (ungroup)

Be careful to use Ctrl key when selecting multiple objects, not Shift.

When moving graphic objects, hover mouse pointer over object, press and hold shift key, then use arrows. To move in larger or smaller increments press + or - key. Each press will cause a greater distance move.

i want to run the app i made in full screen mode. i figured out howto run the app on rsview runtime, but theres a clear/clearall thing at the bottom i want to get rid of. anyone know howto? anyone know of any good cbt's or tutorials for rsview32? the one i went through already was junk.

Turn off "Activity Bar" under "Startup":

RSView32_activitybar.GIF

The best way to animate in rsview, is to build your own objects.

I like to start with a light colored bitmap of an Autocad layout as the background.

Then trace the parts you want to animate using the clunky but functional RSView graphic objects. Only group objects that are to be animated together.

The animation is best "taught" by using regular engineering units, choosing a center point, and teaching the upper and lower limits.

The exact sequence of clicking from the graphic drawing area and setting the postions manually requires some care, and I don't recall the specifics. I know that you must choose the point within the object to apply position and rotation animation before filling the value, but you can mouse over to the drawing and manipulate start and end positons on screen, and then click back into the dialog box and the specific values will be automatically filled you manually choose the upper and lower input values which can be any units you choose, and then apply it before exiting.

Then, you can build onto the objects and group them within a parent group. The parent group can have it's own animation applied that includes the child groups.

So, you can animate a top down view of a rotating drum with a stripe for 0 degrees with:

A rectangle, and a line with vertical animation? (forget what they call it). Plug in a plc variable for degrees, and use an expression based on the 0-359 you expect in the result.

You only want to show the stripe from 0 to 180 degrees, So anything greater than 180 evaluates to 0.

You then teach its position at the minimum value of 0 and then for 180 at the edges of the drum.

Then when you TEST the animation using the animate utility sawtooth, it will look like a spinning drum.

Next, you can build a turret on one of the drum, Group the drum with the turret.

Apply rotation animation to the whole group at the center of the turret.

Teach the rotation uppper and lower limits.

Add a slider with a memory tag called TEST, and use that for the expression.

Now you have a turret you can rotate and the spinning turret on the end will be rotating too (using the animate sawtooth).

The drawing environment takes getting used to, and the shortcut keys are available in Help I think.

Hope this helps,

EDIT: The graphics in your link are probably an imported bitmap. You can use photos, drawings, graphics from other documentation, any digital image you can capture.

The import/export utility in the utilities section along with the animate utility are very useful. Go to All PRograms,, Rockwell Software, and look for RSView ?___? utilities? and tools? (?I forget) subfolders and associated utilities which will help with animation testing and tag database management.

Paul

Last edited:
I already know about the library files and thats good for animations and all but im talking about 3d graphics. Like the example i gave, what program do people use? 3d studio max? The piping and everything looks so much better than RSView's junky graphics.

I was involved in a project where we rendered beautiful (animated) 3D images of a winery. The HMI was a custom application (written in Borland Delphi of all things) that ended up being rediculously sweet and EXPENSIVE. We used Ray Dream Studio. The 3D rendering program of choice really doesn't matter - it outputs images.

All that said, 3D graphics really shouldn't be the focus of HMI systems. I would argue that the same or better information can be provided with a good 2D system. And it's much simpler and less time consuming to create. Your efforts are better expended on making the system functional and truly useful to the end user.

imloggedin said:
I already know about the library files and thats good for animations and all but im talking about 3d graphics. Like the example i gave, what program do people use? 3d studio max? The piping and everything looks so much better than RSView's junky graphics.

I disagree about 3D graphics not being better sources of information.

Did you mean 3D animation? Tha would be overboard in most cases.

The software that created those perfect pipes with an iso view is far superior to a flat top view.

There are a number of programs that could create that. You need a modeling program, and screen capture to get them into RSView.

Then, you can overlay them with text, message displays, RSView graphics, buttons...whatever you want.

Google for 3d modeling software demo.