RSview32 Visual basic crashing

sparkotronic

Hi,

I'm looking for some advice regarding a RSview32 project which has a visual basic pop up for recipe selection.

The history is that the project was running on a PC loaded with Windows NT, this PC died and had to be replaced.
So I've installed version 6.4 of RSview (as this is the version that it was running on) on a XP PC.
The only change I made was to disable an event that prints off a shift report on a non existent printer, this was causing an annoying popup error window that seemed to multiply rapidly throughout the shift.

So far so good, but occasionally the project freezes when the operator is preforming a recipe change via the visual basic popup.

I have no experience what so ever of VB, it looks like a foreign language to me, do I need to install anything on the XP machine to help the VB run?

I've put the project on another NT machine and it seems very stable.
I haven't seen the fault, every time I try it it is fine and it only seems to happen on a nightshift!

Any help would be most appreciated

Regards, Colin

If the VB s/w is running at all then it sounds like the proper runtime environment is loaded.

Lets see, one machine has occasional trouble (the toughest problem to find) and another machine is fine. And the fault only occurs during the night shift.

H/W: is the PC running off a UPS? Black or brownout condition happening at night?
Or swap the bad PC with the good PC? Does the problem still happen. If not, suspect the original h/w.

s/w: Operator induced? playing games at night? Run a keyboard tracker-recorder task that logs all key entries to see if something the operator is intentionally or not intentionally doing that makes the problem occur.

So I've installed version 6.4 of RSview (as this is the version that it was running on) on a XP PC.
I have had problems even getting RSView version 6.3 to run on Windows XP with Service Pack 3. It ran okay with SP2, but SP3 changed the picture. I finally figured out some fixes to make RSView think it was still running on Windows NT (by loading some of the old Windows NT files and driver software). Figuring out which NT files are needed was difficult and mostly-trial-and error.
So far so good, but occasionally the project freezes when the operator is preforming a recipe change via the visual basic popup.

I have no experience what so ever of VB, it looks like a foreign language to me, do I need to install anything on the XP machine to help the VB run.
Most likely your Windows XP machine has a different version of Microsoft Visual Basic. See if you can figure out what version of Visual Basic was running on the NT machine, and load that version on your Windows XP machine if possible.

It is possible also that your VB program has an undiscovered error that only now is showing up. ZIP and post your VB file, or make a screen shot and post it as a picutre file (*.jpg).

Last edited: