RTD and vibration sensor requirement for pumps

Charbel

Dear,

I am looking for BS or NFPA standards or similar providing a requirement for 37KW pumps if they need to be provided with temperature / vibration sensors built in for the motor or pump bearings.

I really appreciate any feedback on this issue.

thank you!

charbel

I'd let some more experienced members comment, but I've not seen that requirement in the NEC, except for use as an overload in 1500+HP motors.

I don't think that there is a requirement for either as part of the installation. If you choose to add them, then great! Otherwise it violates no requirements that I am aware of.

I believe it's entirely up to the end user as to what they want. Built in vibration monitoring is expensive. We retrofitted some accelerometers to our 10 x 250kW wastewater pumps in one installation. They are monitored manually but even so it's proven quite valuable for picking up bearing and impellor issues and has saved some hefty repair bills. It's not a silver bullet though!

I know some bigger pumps can be factory fitted with a 4-20mA output for vibration along with the usual thermistors and water in oil sensors. I don't know if they are justified on a 37kW pump though.

I guess it would depend on how important the 37 kW pump is.
If it is critical then monitor it. If not then regular PM and inspection routes should do the trick.
If really important you might want to have a standby pump and an automatic failover scheme.