RTD question

Howdy CW: question for you, where in the tank is the tech placing his temp detector?
I had a similar problem years ago, (with acid & caustic tanks) the rtd's were mounted on the right hand side of the tank, about 6 inches below liquid level. in my case the qa tech would come by and stick his temp probe in any part of the tank but not near the rtd. he was alwayz complaining that the temps are off, we did some checking and found out that our chem mix, was odd, the heaters were at the bottom, and for some reason the heat didn't rise evenly like it wwould in a tank of water. we used a 3' probe and found different temps at different levels in the acid. we eventually found a solution, we put some small pumps on the side of the tank that would intake the top level of acid, and discharge it from the bottom of the tanks via a type of spray nozzle, this kept the temp stable and the chemicals mixed.

Good point Tracer.
I would still substitute a resistor to simulate the temperature to see if it drifts that way.
Look for moisture inside the head and any associated terminal boxes also.
Roy