S5 115U CPU 943 to OP277 Panel

Appadoov

Hello,

I am trying to connect a S5 115U CPU943B to an OP277 panel. I have been through the "HOW TO connect and configure a WinCC Flex panel to an S5 PLC via the PG port" which I got from internet and have already procured the TTY-RS422 connector.

I have also build the cable, as instructed, on the manual of the TTY-RS422 connector and connected it as it says on the manual (which I have attached). HAve configured the IF1B of the panel as RS422/RS485 (1-off, 2-On, 3-On, 4-Off). HAve set up the connection in the project as Simatic AS511, IF1B 9600 Baud, Even Parity, 1 Stop bit and the CPU as 115U 943. HAve created two tags to DB235. But when testing the connection it is not communicating (the OP277 show ####).

As a test I have created a RT project for PC and used the TTY-232 cable with My PG and everything is fine, so the PLC is communicating.

My Questions is:
HAs someone build such type of project before?
Has anyone been able to get this communication to work?
What have I done wrong for this communication?
What can I do as more test to know where is the problem

I do not know if anyone can help me with this issue, but I would be very greatful for any kind of help.

With Thanks,
Vish

The guide you mention, is it THIS ONE ?
Yes I have it working (I wrote the guide).
Did you follw this guide exactly ?
I purchased the cable, I didnt build it myself.
One thing, the serial port on the panel must NOT be enabled for transfer of the project.

Hello JEsper,

Many thanks for the quick reply.

The guide which you quoted above is the one that I have used. It was very helpful for the decision of what to buy. It is very good that you have it working as it is not working on my side right now.

Yes I did follow the guide exactly. I thought of purchasing the cable but the local representative said that Siemens no longer builds this cables and sent me the cable config for it. That is what i posted above.

I have used the Lan to transfer the project and for serial/PPI was disabled for channel 1. I hope this is what you mean. Remote control for Channel 2 (LAN) is also off. I did this in the transfer settings in the control panel.

Where I may be wrong is maybe the cable, or the port of the OP277 is faulty. This is the only things that I can think of. Or The Port is not changing to RS422. As I told you with a PC RT the communication is working (RS232-TTY converter).

Is there anything else which may cross your mind on this issue.

I am attaching a screenshot of the WinCC project. Grateful if you could confirm if it is OK.

Thanks,
Vish

untitled.jpg

Jesper will correct me if I am wrong but can't you leave the MP277 port set as 232 and use a standard S5 comms lead (232 to tty)? I have a cheap replica that I use for programming S5 PLCs.

Nick

That list is wrong (probably outdated). Look at the screenshot posted by appadoov in post #3.
I have had this working with an OP277, and I posted all my findings in the guide.

Hi Jesper,

I have been able to get the cable from another Siemens supplier. ;) I will wait for the cable to be here in Mauritius and then do some more tests.

Thanks for the help. I will keep you informed of the progress of the work.

Thanks once more,
Cheers,
Vish

Sorry forgot to brief you about this,

Yes I did try it from day one but it does not work both sides. I will now try to use the cable without the Zener Diodes (less than 10 m).

Cheers,
Vish

Hello JEsper,

Got the Siemens cable and still the panel with the S5 PLC were not communicating. So finally I changed the OP277 panel to a new one and the communication is OK now. The old cable which we manufactured is also working for those who need this cable and have difficulty to get it (also much cheaper to make a cable).

I would like to thank you for the precious help you provided and your document that you provided. Once more a big thanks.

Cheers,
Vish