S5 and XP compatibility?

Johnny T

Does anyone know whether Siemens Step 5 is compatible with Windows XP Sp2?

I've just got a new work laptop that sports the aforementioned operating system. I've just installed Step 5 v7.23 and it won't run.

I've tried running it through the 'command prompt' but still nothing.

Anyone had any experience of this or know a 'workaround' to get it going? Or is it just that Step 5 has slipped beyond the compatibility boundaries of modern operating systems?

Thanks

JT :)

Johnny

What do you mean by "It won't run"?

I have had S5 V7.13 running on an XP SP2 laptop, the only problem I had was the error message to do with no comm1 available.

Paul

Paul,

If I run it from Windows then the dos box just pops up for an instant and then disappears.

If I run from DOS I get the error Step 5 critical error, bad S5 system path...

If you've got it running on yours then I'll probably try a fresh install and see if that fixes it...

Cheers

John

Johnny T said:
If I run it from Windows then the dos box just pops up for an instant and then disappears.

That is symptomatic of not having the authorisation installed, or not restarting the PC after installing the authorisation after installing Step 5.

This is the order I used to install it:-

Step 5
Authorisation
Reboot
Run Step 5

Paul

Paul

I think you've hit the sharp metal pointy thing on the end with that one mate.

When I reinstalled I noticed that it said I needed to reboot.. I didn't do this originally...

I can't reboot at the moment as I'm transferring some files over the network to the laptop.. but when that's finished I'll reboot and try again. I'm sure that will sort it.

Many thanks for your help as always..

JT

Thanks Paul

Success!!!
I too need to use S5 on my work XP notebook. I have v7.1 but couldnt get it to go online to the PLC. I nearly bought v7.23 for £500 to try and solve the problem.
All i needed to do was restart straight away after installation and it works fine!

One problem though - when connecting to a 115U CPU i get 'UNDEFINED CHARACTER FROM THE AS' and it wont go online.
Does anyone have any ideas????

Cheers
Jim

One problem though - when connecting to a 115U CPU i get 'UNDEFINED CHARACTER FROM THE AS' and it wont go online.

Ive seen this. It has to do with the as511 configuration but im not sure exactly what but if you want i could upload a file('s) thats working

i think this is the config file for the AS interface but im not sure.
Rename the end prefix to *.ini and place it in \step5\s5_sys folder. But save your copy first and place it somewhere safe incase it doesnt work.

Thankyou very much for your help but unfortunately it didnt work.

Strange that i can connect to any other type of s5 cpu except the 115U

There is a driver on the siemens website that is supposed to cure this type of comms error. I have placed it in the system32 drivers file but it has made no difference.

Not sure what to do next

Hi,

Recently I had a similar problem, where I could not communicate with a 115U CPU and perfectly with other CPU's. I had to change it for a new one, to solve my problem!

Regards,
Bruno