S7 - Profibus - Danfoss VLT 5000

theDave2

While the task of using Siemens S7 (300's / 400's) profibus to control a Danfoss VFD has been touched upon a couple of times here, I don't see that anyone has published the code they ended up with, or even if they made a function block of it.

All I need is Run / Stop / Set Speed and read Status. But the Danfoss VLT 5000 Profibus manual is so obtuse I'm going to be spending mucho time reading it and figuring out since it's written in Ginglish.

And while I've used profibus on a S7 a couple of times before to talk to weight scales and flow meters, I would be so much ahead of the game if anyone would share any code for the VLT's. And I know VFD's so nothing new there.

Thanks,
Dave

Hi there
Goto Download section of this site.
From there goto Siemens.
From here download the file Profibus_communication.pdf.

This manual is about HOW to configure VLT5000 with Step 7, and it includes the code.

rohan tandon said:

Yes, until the last page about programming. Which is where I have no idea what a PPO ('”parameter process data object”') / PCA/ IND / MRV, etc is; how exactly a SFC 14 & 15 blocks work, and what the Danfoss manual is trying to say about the mentioned TLA items.

There seems to be a lot of information that is lost in the translation. Or something that may be very basic (to Siemens users) in so much that it isn't ever explained in writting. And I've coded drivers for DH1, Modbus, Omron, and a host of other plc's & other devices. Siemens is the most obtuse plc I've ever used.

manmeetvirdi: The 'Profibus_communication.pdf' is pretty much the same note as the other one mentioned and I had gotten both (and everything else I can find) from the Danfoss site.

[rant on] Why can't mgf's give a clear, consise application , simple example program that actually does something usefull? For VFD's just about EVERYONE will want to set the speed and control On/Off. Any yet, in all the code I've looked at, there is nothing. [/rant off]

Anyhow, I'll struggle with writting a SIMPLE, well documented code to do what I need.

Thanks to all.
Dave

If you haven't already incuded SFC14 and SFC15 in your program, you'll find them in the Standard Library under "System Function Blocks". Copy them from there into the Blocks directory of your program then highlight them by left-clicking with the mouse and press F1 to open up the Help-file. That should give you all the info that you need.

I sometimes have the feeling that the problem with Siemens is not that there is no information on the subject that interests you, but rather there is so much information, that it can be hard to find the info that is directly relevant to your problem. In that respect, the Help-files are often more useful than the manuals.

Hello dave;

PPOx types for drive are standard telegram format developped by Siemens to communicate with their drives (Micro/Midi Masterdrives, not the newer Sinamics), either serially (USS protocol) or over Profibus-DP.
There are 5 different telegrams (see the attached file, PPOx for Danfoss drives) as seen here:

PPOx_Typical.jpg

In each PPOx structure there are 2 areas: one for parameters (PKW: parameter values), one for control (PZD: process data).
The PZD registers are read/write by unit, each one can be used in yur program in standard MOVE operations: start/stop/jog digital control, speed reference and feedback...
The PKW area, on the other hand, requires that all 4 registers be written as a single telegram, instructing the drive to write a new value for a specific parameter number/index. if you try to wite single registers omne after the other in that area, the drive will not recognize the request to read or write a parameter value. S7 CPUs cannot handle standard operations on more than 4 bytes at a time (DINT, DWORD or REAL data types; to read/write the PKW words (64 bits) in a single operation you need SFC14/15.
If you choose not to connect to the PKW area through the CPU, and all you need is control/status and reference/feedback speed setpoints, make your life easy and select PPO3. Selecting PPO4 allows the same type of exchages in the PZD area, plus a few selected operational values of your choice; PPO1/2/5 allow PKW access plus a varying number of PZD registers, although digital control and speed registers are always present by default.
Hope this helps,
Daniel Chartier

Last edited:
What about using an analogue output and a few digital i/o to interface to the drive ? If the drive ever needs to be replaced and this model is not available, you (or someone else) trying to get this going again in the middle of the night for example, will not be faced with the same problems again.

I had a little go with looking into the doc from Danfoss, and I have to agree that it is not even close to be a complete sample project.

The sample project only explains how to send a block of parameters to the drive.
There are no details as how to start and stop and set the speed for example.
And there are probably a number of parameters that have to be setup for the drive to accept commands via Profibus. No mention of this either.
And what about diagnostics ?
And which kind of PPO to choose for the given application ?

As a minimum you need to know:
How to start and stop.
How to set the speed.
How to reset an alarm.
How to know the drive is ready to start.
How to know that the drive is active.
How to know that the drive has reached the set speed.
How to know if the drive is faulted.
How to read the current fault code, if any.

I would contact Danfoss and request a sample project where this is explained in simple detail.

The possibility to transfer parameters, is also nice, but not really critical. Fine if you want to implement parameter changes in your own HMI for example.

Hi there
Here is the sample project involving VLT 5000.
It has some code to give you a start.

If you see FC5 then there you will get sending which word to VFD will start/stop and reset it.

Its a running project.

Manmeet

Replace of Danfoss inverter

How can i replace Danfoss Inverter VLT5000 connected to CPU 318 _ S7-300 _ Siemens by another different inverter

I have an spx drive (by eaton) with the profidrive profile. I am trying to program it using codesys. I downloaded the GSD file, chose the PPO type, and addressed the variables to the hardware. I'm trying to simulate by writing variables into the Control word and reference but nothing comes out in the Status and Actual value.