Hi All,

I have a project coming up where I will be commissioning some safety point IO

Details are as follows:

1756-L72S safety controller
1756-DNB DeviceNet Scanner
1734-ADN Point IO DeviceNET Adapter
1734-IB8S and 1734-OB8S Safety Point I/O

Before I start I want to make sure that:
1. This set-up is possible? I cant find any documentation detailing how to set up safety I/O with a 1756-DNB DeviceNet Scanner
2. Are there any challenges setting up the DeviceNet RSNetworx?
3. Does the 1734-ADN Point IO DeviceNET Adapter require a subnet the same as standard Point I/O?

Any information or advice would be much appreciated!

Cheers

I dont know but I am interested to see the replies

what CAT. level safety do you need.
what is the speed you need the safety to operate in. (mS)
will DeviceNet be fast enough is DeviceNet approved for safety functions
(I am thinking might not be good)

Let me preface by saying I've never done safety I/O via devicenet, I've always used EtherNet/IP.

From what I've read on the AB site. No, you cannot do what you propose. The 1734-ADN DeviceNet I/O Adapter does not work with POINT Guard I/O. You can however use the 1734-PDN DeviceNet Communication Interface with POINT Guard I/O.

You could use CompactBlock Guard I/O 1791DS as an option.

Check out: POINT Guard I/O Safety Modules User Manual for information on setting up addressing.

I have done safety on DeviceNet with ControlLogix using 1791DS modules. I believe that TimBert is correct. However, I do not think that the 1734-PDN module is useable with ControlLogix, as it does not appear in the module list when configuring the system in RSL5000. (But I could be wrong).
Also if the only DeviceNet IO you are using is Safety with ControlLogix, you do not need RSNetworx.

However, I do not think that the 1734-PDN module is useable with ControlLogix, as it does not appear in the module list when configuring the system in RSL5000. (But I could be wrong).
Yeah, Mike, I found conflicting information on this. In the catalog, I think it said the 1734-PDN worked with SmartGuard PLCs but not GuardLogix.

In the document I posted Chapter 7 is entitled "Configuring Safety Connections between a GuardLogix Controller and POINT Guard I/O Modules on a DeviceNet Network" sure makes me think this is possible.

Timbert you are correct (I didn't read the manual) on page 125:

"To use POINT Guard I/O modules with a GuardLogix controller via a
DeviceNet network, you must use a 1734-PDN module in place of an adapter.
When using a 1734-PDN module, you must use RSNetWorx for DeviceNet
software to configure the POINT Guard I/O modules, and the Generic
DeviceNet Safety Module profile in the Logix Designer application to use the
module data inside of the safety task."

So you the OP would have to use RSNetworx to configure the IO, and then the generic module definition in RSL5K.

Kind of the worst of both worlds. Better to go Ethernet/IP.

Hi all,

Firstly thanks for your responses.

To answer your question iant we are designing for a Cat 3 system, but I am no sure on the speed requirements yet.

The main reason I am looking to use the 1734-ADN is because we have a bunch of drives on deviceNET and the installation would be easier if we had the safety I/O on the same network.

After doing a bit of research though and from Timberts response I may have to set them up on Ethernet. I will try to get a definitive answer from Rockwell and post it here.

Unfortunately we have all the hardware here ready to go with DeviceNet but given that this setup was recommended by our supplier they should be no arguments changing these modules over.

Cheers

Remember that the 1734-PDN is essentially transparent to the network. It does not have a node number and just passes DeviceNet signals through to a POINTBus backplane.

When you use a 1734-PDN, the connections to the Guard modules are made in RSLogix 5000 itself and bridged through the 1756-DNB.

Ordinary I/O connections are configured in the usual way with RSNetworx for DeviceNet and the Scanlist editor.

The 1734-ADN itself acts as a Scanner on the POINTBus and as an Adapter on the DeviceNet. As I understand it, the 1734-ADN doesn't bridge Safety connections.

CIP Safety over DeviceNet was built for the first-generation CompactBlock Guard and ArmorBlock Guard modules that were re-badged Omron hardware.

The POINT modules came later and were really designed for use with the EtherNet/IP adapters. That's why using them with 1756-DNB bridges requires a "dumbed down" interface using the Generic Module object.

I would jump to Ethernet I/P (EIP) if that is an option. I have done several safety systems on EIP noce and easy.

Hi All,

FYI the link to tech support below states that:

"POINTGuard is NOT compatible with 1734-ADN, 1734-ADNX, 1734-APB, or 1734-ACNR adapters."

and

"Q: So POINTGuard cannot be used with the PDN and GuardLogix?

A: Yes, this is a supported solution, but due to the difficulties of configuring and using it this combination is currently not recommended."

I will stick to Ethernet for now.

Thanks all for your help

Tech link: https://rockwellautomation.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/57732