Same old major fault: Type 03/I/O Fault code 23

olealf

Hi

I have the following situation with a CompactLogix 1769-L32E (firmware version 17.7):

After a power glitch the PLC gets a major fault: Type 03 I/O Fault Code23 At least one required connection not established before going into run.

I have been checking the PLC configuration and meets the rockwell guidelines:

1. Controller in slot zero, maximum 3 I/O modules between the power supply and controller.

2.End caps installed and working.

3. The chassis power supply and the I/O modules power supply have the same power source.

so no issues with the configuration.

we were able to clear the fault, but I am trying to figure it out, how to avoid the error, this is what I have so far:

1. It is not a firmware issue: checking the firmware release notes I have not seeing anything related to this.

2. The option "Major Fault on Controller if connection fails while in run mode" is checked in all the I/O modules: I know that this is why the controller gets the Major fault and for safety we would like to keep that option checked.

3. The most probable cause in my opinion is this: The I/O modules have a separate power supply, however, the Output modules get the power using a safety relay. My guess here is that: after the power glitch the output modules are getting the power with a delay as the safety relay may take some millisecs to act. I checked all the I/O modules but no failures history was found in RSlogix 5000, I tried to power cycle the PLC but couldn't get the failure. Also controller fault handler and power up handler routines not being used.

Any suggestion on possible solution or options ?

Thanks