Searching by keyword

Doug-P

It's threads like this

http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=36970

which prompt me to again bring up the subject of thread 'keywords'.

Many times the text of the thread title has little or nothing to do with the discussion and subjects contained in it. Threads get hijacked, go off-topic, and new ideas get proposed. The thread noted above is a perfect example. There is nothing in the thread title, "RSLogix 500 Program Problem" to indicate what is being discussed. I'm not dissing Archie, just pointing out that that title covers a lot of territory.

Also, as often noted, searching is less productive than it could be. Think of a keyword as a sort of index or memory-jog tool attached to the thread. If one could search on the keyword(s) 'bit value', or 'bit position', or 'bit twiddling', or 'log(2)', or 'search' and one of these were already attached to the thread, it would narrow the field considerably.

For example, if the thread you are reading had the keyword 'vanity' attached to it, and it was the only one on the board so designated, and you searched on the keyword 'vanity', then this is the only thread which would match the search criteria.

Similarly, if the thread "RSLogix 500 Program Problem" were searched with the keyword 'search', then only it and any other thread having the keyword 'search' would be listed in the search results. If the keyword 'bit twiddling' were used then that thread and a different set of threads (also having the keyword 'bit twiddling') would appear. Multiple keywords are preferred because a thread may touch on several topics.

I understand that this would be a significant project for Mr. Melore but perhaps some members of the board could be recruited to assist. I believe the ability to search by keyword would cut down on the number of new threads generated and speed the process of getting answers (not to mention reducing Peter Nachtwey's frustration level :D !)

Discuss.

/vanity

Last edited:
While it is not a good example since knowing Log(2) would mean you already know the solution...

Searching for Log(2) here brings up
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=843297

Searching on Google - +site:www.plctalk.net +"log(2)"
http://www.google.com/search?hl=en&q=+site:www.plctalk.net++"log(2)"&btnG=Search

The advantage of Google is it takes into account page rank. Pages that are more popular and have more external links to them where they have been referenced, hopefully because they have a good answer, will be near the top of the list.

As I have said before in other search topics...if you had searched you would have found them :) Forum searches look for a keyword, then usually order from newest to oldest. This means the questions where members reply "learn how to use the search feature" will come up first.

Now that I posted my previous reply, another search here for "Log(2)" brings up this thread first
http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/search.php?searchid=843297

This is the problem with the forum search which makes this frustrating for the guru and the student.

The search function can be removed and a Google search integrated in. It is on the list of this to do for Patchn, only for another reason. A forum search only includes forum content. Ron has some great articles that would answer questions but they don't show up in a forum search.

TWControls said:
While it is not a good example since knowing Log(2) would mean you already know the solution...
That is very much true and the same applies to keywords too. Sometimes there is no word(s) that defines exactly what you are looking to do.

When I first looked for a topic that discussed hot to find which bit number is true in a word, my first search was "word bit number". That turned up 14 pages of topics. If I knew to use LOG or FBC, then I wouldn't have been searching.

Just another example, which is non-PLC related, is when I wanted to break out the 4 bytes of a floating point number in Visual Basic. Three hours later I found the function named BitConverter. Lots of searching, but just couldn't come up with the right key words.

Don't get me wrong I agree strongly with the use of keywords. Maybe it would help even further if each new topic had to be given a category, which was selected from a drop down list, such as HMI, ladder programming, hardware, etc.

'THE BEST OF' or 'Best Practic'

I have started a 'best of'.... but it is very opinionated (all of my answers are at the top (just kidding))

You can see this also here http://www.plctalk.net/qanda/showthread.php?t=30571&highlight=noise+search but to get this to show up I had to search two known keywords

If you can search more then one key word it cuts down on the noise

Once I am done with the "best of" threads or FAQ then I will post it then everyone can add or we can change it around

I was going to put it on my website to help my customers but we can also post it here

Mark

Archie said:
Don't get me wrong I agree strongly with the use of keywords. Maybe it would help even further if each new topic had to be given a category, which was selected from a drop down list, such as HMI, ladder programming, hardware, etc.
That's the beauty of the keyword concept, properly executed, keywords can be added to the thread after it's posted. The original poster might have started the thread on the subject of, say, drivers. Further down the thread it is revealed that he's looking for HMI drivers and a lot of informative discussion follows. If the keyword 'HMI' is now added to the thread, this discussion becomes available when searching for keyword 'HMI'.

If further down it is reveled he is looking for HMI drivers, then they will automatically become keywords. Just give the Google method a try, it works for me.

I have started a 'best of'.... but it is very opinionated

If anyone has any that they would like to see on it let me know...

I am breaking it down into sections something like this
code said:
Allen Bradley
..RSLogix500
....Timers (TON,TOF)
....Data Moves (MOV)
....etc
....etc
....Common question
....etc
....etc

Siemens
..S7
....Pointers
....etc
..S5
....a lot

TWControls said:
Just give the Google method a try, it works for me.
I'm going to. I made a partial search term using plcs.net in the Google search box and saved it to my favorites. This way I can click on the favorite and just type in what I'm looking for - saves a few keystrokes.